Chapter 8

"How much longer till we get to the hive?"

>C: "Not much longer. We should soon be able to see the entrance to Delta Hive, and from there we will take a caravan down to Epsilon Hive."

"I am guessing Epsilon Hive is the one that has been having all of its tunnels collapsed by Diamond Dogs?"

>C: "That would be correct. Each year they have been more and more aggressive towards us, even though we have made several attempts at peace."

>S:"Is there any reason they might be mad at you?"

>C: "Besides the initial incident when our tunnels first crossed, no."

"Do you think you could describe the incident for me?"

>C:"I don't see why not. It happened six years ago, about the beginning of spring. Epsilon Hive tunnelers were building an emergency bypass tunnel to Delta hive, when their tunnel hit another one. The tunnel looked natural, as the walls and floors were rough and jagged, not like changeling carved tunnels, which are smooth. After the bypass tunnel was completed, an expedition of miners was sent down to examine it. A number of rich untapped metal veins were discovered, and groups were immediately dispatched to extract them. This was about the time the Diamond dogs arrived. They must have assumed we were stealing, and opened fire on us with their crossbows. A number of us fired back with magic, and several lives were lost on each side. Eventually the situation was resolved, and things seemed fine for a time. That was until they started raiding and kidnapping."

>S: "Those dogs that Anon beat were trying to kidnap me to make me work in the mines."

>You rest your hand on her shoulder.

"Even if I hadn't gotten to you on time, I still would have done anything to get you out, even if it meant turning myself in to Celestia to get her to save you."

>Scootaloo blushes, and leans against your side.

>C: "Eye's up front, we should be able to see the entrance soon.

>Cresting a hill, You, Scootaloo and the changelings all look down to see a battle going on.

>A dozen or so well armed Diamond dogs are pressing in on four changeling guards trying to hold them away from a tunnel in a cliff.

>C: "We have to hurry; they may not be able to hold off for much longer."

"Scootaloo, stay close and you will be fine. Alright."

>She nods, and you start running towards the fight.

>The changelings have formed up around you and Scootaloo, making a diamond shape with Scootaloo in the middle.

>Barely having any time to react, the dogs change into a sort of circular formation, facing all directions.

>Avoiding a clumsily thrown mace, you crash into the nearest dog, driving your momentum powered fist into its face.

>The sound of cartilage breaking and a small spray of blood comes out as it stumbles back and collapses.

>Spinning to your right, you deliver a backhand to the dog there, stunning him into dropping his sword.

>Diving down, you grab the blade and swing the flat of it across its owners face, knocking it cold.

>A cursory glance getting up reveals two other dogs are down, as well as one of the changeling guards.

>The other eight dogs are currently occupied pressing against the six changelings.

>Striding forward, you club another dog on the helmet, before driving your knee into its gut, dropping it.