Prologue

Author's Note: This book still has the same air as Crushing on Royalty, but I did my best to enhance my writing skills. This story is written in the first and third person, and I have to warn you that there might be some scenes that will be a bit...um, romantic. Oooh. By the way, credits to feliinoh.tumblr.com for the fantastic .gif!

Happy reading!

ESchwarz

YOU ARE MY SUMMER

All rights reserved

Copyright © 2015 by ESchwarz

>>>>><<<<<

Four years ago

The Country Seat of the Duke and Duchess of Cynster

Cynster Hall

"What are you looking at?" Michael Cutting, the young Marquess of Sterling, murmured from his side of the room, tipping back in his chair, trying to balance it on two legs. He'd been so bored at his aunt's lavish birthday party and convinced his rather moody cousin to join him in playing some video games in the guest bedroom. But Cole had been distracted.

Nicholas Colton Boselli Cutting, the future Duke of Cynster, currently holding the title as the Marquess of Havenhurst, stared out across the grounds of the palatial estate that would become his once his father passed away. As he looked at the hedge below, he spotted his mother emerge from the shrubbery. She looked furtively about her, straightening the top of her little black Versace dress and smoothed her slightly tousled dark hair into some semblance of order. A few minutes after that, the big-shot businessman, Phillip Moncroft, emerged, retying his necktie to perfection. Their tinkling laughter floated up through Cole's open window as they linked their arms and walked on.

Mild hatred marred the youthful handsomeness of his strong features as Cole watched his mother and her latest conquest saunter into the arbour.

"Mother seems to have acquired a new man," Cole drawled mockingly, his brilliant eyes narrowing at the sight below him.

"Christ," Michael swore under his breath, standing up and peering out the window. Not again. "Who the hell is it this time?"

"Dad's business partner. Your girlfriend's father."

Michael wanted to point out that Arabella Moncroft was not his girlfriend -- they just had a spot of fun here and there once in a while -- but he knew that if he said that, Cole would probably punch him right in the face. He rather liked his face, thank you very much.

Turning fully toward him, Cole stared at his cousin's features that almost mirrored his own. Though they were second cousins, they'd been more like brothers since they were in nappies, plopped with all the other Cutting children. They grew up together like siblings and they would forever be brothers at heart.

Looking into Michael's astonishing silver eyes, Cole saw that there was regret there, and worse -- there was pity. Michael tried to hide it but it was too late. Cole's own features hardened into an unreadable mask that resembled granite.

What was happening to Cole, Michael pondered, was not what a normal sixteen-year-old should be going through. Hell, even he wasn't having a normal life, what with his family threatening him with traditional marriages and heritages and all that bloody nonsense. The tradition wasn't lost on Cole either -- he was having more problems aside from his impending future marriage with a random chit. His parents' marriage was in shambles, his mum had more lovers than one could count, and his dad was a depressed alcoholic.