four

ELOISE'S BAD DAY

Sirius Black was a bit shocked when he was reintroduced to his cousin's daughter, who had bright purple hair; but he was even more shocked when her flatmate walked in and was absolutely stunning

He was excited to learn her family was kind and loving, much like the Potter family, whom he missed dearly. They were normal people, he noticed, as, after dinner, her siblings sat next to Dora and Eloise, asking questions that Dora answered as Eloise scribbled them down, for reasons Sirius wasn't aware.

"Eloise," her mom called from the kitchen. "Can I borrow you for a moment?"

Eloise's sister had just asked if unicorns were real, so Eloise scribbled it down and passed to Sirius the notepad and muggle quill that didn't require ink she had in his hands.

"Will you write the questions, please?" she asked, smiling nicely at him. "I don't want to miss any questions."

Sirius made a mental note to ask her about why she was writing the questions, but scribbled on the pad as her brother asked, "What about werewolves? Are they like normal people?"

Sirius didn't hear when Eloise's parents informed her that her mother had cancer. He didn't hear Eloise's mother sobbing into Eloise's arms as the older woman told her eldest child she had only months left to live. He didn't hear Eloise's heart breaking.

But Dora didn't either. And the two children in front of the Blacks didn't either.

But the Blacks noticed when Eloise walked back into the room looking dazed and exhausted.

"Hudson, Brooklyn," Eloise started, giving a small smile to her siblings. "Do you mind walking Dumbledore?"

The two kids in front of Sirius grinned, nodding excitedly, as the older wizard wondered about the dog's name.

The little boy, Hudson, looked at him. "He's named after the Headmaster of Eloise's school. He has a funny name."

Sirius smiled at the boy. "He was also my Headmaster, when I went to the same school."

"But you're older than Eloise," Hudson replied.

"I am," Sirius told him. "But Dumbledore is super old. And his beard is longer than your little sister."

Hudson laughed and ran off to find the leash to walk Dumbledore, a large curly haired blonde dog.

"El," Dora said. "Are you alright?"

Eloise gave Dora a half smile. "You two can come in the kitchen. We're having an adult discussion and we may need witnesses, for legal purposes."

"Legal purposes?" Dora repeated.

"Mum has cancer," Eloise stated plainly, before going back through the swinging door into the kitchen.

Sirius looked at his cousin. "Should I stay in here?"

Dora shrugged. "She said you could come in. You live with us, so you'll just find out whatever happens when we get home."

They both paused before following the blonde into the kitchen.

"Mum, we need to have a plan.  Between Dad's heart problems and your," Eloise paused. "We need to have a plan in place for Hudson and Brooklyn. And Pops!"

"Eloise," her grandfather said. "I'll be fine. I can move in with your Aunt Alessandra."

"Dad," Eloise's mother replied. "She's in Germany. What about Brooklyn and Hudson?"

"They'll be with me, Mum," Eloise told her mother. "The three of us will stay here until whatever school year they're in is over, and then I'll figure it out from there."

"I'll help!" Dora exclaimed from behind Eloise. "We can do it."

Eloise's parents were older and Sirius could tell they were very upset at the thought of leaving their children.

"Eloise Madeline, Nymphadora," Eloise's father started. "You don't have to --"

"Dad, if my little brother and sister can't have their mummy and daddy, they're going to have me, dammit."

"Eloise!" her mother gasped in surprise.

"Sorry, Mum," Eloise said half-heartedly. "Now, house sold or kept."

"Up to you," her father told her. "The house is paid off, but we understand if it's too much to keep up with."

Eloise nodded, knowing her father really meant that it may be too painful.

"I'd like to be cremated," Eloise's mother said, bluntly. "Spread in the Hudson River."

"I want to be lain to rest with my wife, however she chooses," John replied, softly, as though it hurt to think about being without his wife.

It was as though Sirius was 20 years old again, sitting next to his best mate, as the Potters made their requests after their Dragon Pox diagnoses. His heart broke for Eloise, who looked as miserable as James did that year.

Eloise was clearly processing their requests when the front door was heard slamming into the wall, followed by giggles.

"Is it time for cake?" Hudson asked as he entered the kitchen, grinning.

Sirius suddenly remembered why they had come to the Martin home. Hudson's eleventh birthday.

Eloise's mother sprung into action. "Just about!"