fourteen

THE PROPOSAL

Eloise, Sirius, and the Tonks family were in 12 Grimmauld Place, doing their best to clean the home

It had taken Andromeda and Eloise's smooth-talking to convince the portrait of Walburga Black to tell them how to remove her portrait. It had been a very complex spell, hidden in a book in the library, and it had allowed them to completely uncover the horrid decor on the walls.

Sirius was going to be able to start over in the old Black home.  "No more blood-purist bullshit" he kept saying. He wasn't yet a free man, but Dumbledore had promised that Sirius's freedom was at the top of his list.

Eloise was moving in with him.  Tonks was being transferred to work out of Hogsmeade, so the two were finally leaving their beloved flat. Eloise was going to be able to focus a bit more on her book since Sirius had insisted she cut down on hours if she wouldn't quit.

Eloise was sitting in the study, cuddled up in a chair as she read a book about one of Sirius's ancestors when a knock on the study door caused her to look up. 

She immediately beamed. "Hi."

"Hey, love. What are you reading?" Sirius asked, walking towards his girlfriend.

Eloise held the book up and he crinkled his nose before leaning down to kiss her. "What have you been up to?"

"Oh, nothing," he told her, a smug grin on his face. "Just setting up a date for us."

"Really?" Her eyes were bright and twinkled a bit, even in the dark study. The couple was rarely able to go on proper dates. For obvious reasons.

Sirius nodded, making her smile cross her face. "Go get ready."

Eloise put the book down and kissed his face. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," he said. "Now, go."

The witch obeyed and the wizard pulled a small velvet box out of his pocket, turning it over in his hand as he smiled to himself. He looked to the enlarged photo of himself and James Potter hanging in the study that Remus Lupin had taken in their fifth year before OWLs on a rare trip to the library. 

"I'm going to do it, James," Sirius said to the picture. "She's the one."

Eloise stood in front of the mirror, in a blush pink dress to her knees. She was using her wand to curl her hair, the last thing she had to do before they could leave. 

The two had hardly been on a proper date since she had moved all the way into the Black household two weeks ago. They'd spent all day together the first few days, then started only spending evenings together after the first week had gone so that Eloise could work on her book. 

Eloise put her wand down and smiled at herself in the mirror.  She then apparated to the first floor of 12 Grimmauld Place. 

Sirius looked up at her and beamed at the sight of her. "Merlin, you're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in my entire life."

She kissed him in response.

He took her arm and apparated the two away.  They landed in the same field their first date had been in. Once again, a beautiful picnic was laid out -- with wine and strawberries, a cheese tray, and a basket. 

Eloise was beaming from ear to ear as the two sat down and began to eat cheese off of the tray. They fed each other strawberries and drank wine. Sirius pulled out two very fancy steaks, so they ate those.

And then they walked, Eloise with her heels in one hand, wrapped around his arm, and her other hand out. They walked out to a huge lake and he twirled her around, but let go as she spun. 

When she turned back to face him, he was on his knee, velvet box in hand.

"What are you doing?"

"Eloise Madeline Martin, from the moment I laid eyes on you, I knew you would change my life. From our first kiss, I knew I was done with first kisses. I only want to kiss you. From our first date, I knew I wanted to marry you. Every first with you, I want to be my last first. I've waited a long time to start my life and now I know it was so I could know you. So I could kiss you. So I could be with you for the rest of my life. You are the kindness woman I have ever known. The most brilliant woman I've ever met. I mean, you found out about magic and decided that every muggleborn's parent should get to know the same history that every witch and wizard knows. You are everything I could've ever dreamed of. I know we've only been together for a few months, but I'm done waiting. And before you ask, I've already told your family and Dora and Harry and everyone's on board. So, Eloise, will you marry me?"

Tears ran down Eloise's cheeks as she nodded and kneeled down to Sirius's height to kiss him.  There was mud on her dress but all she could think about was kissing this man. She put her forehead to his and whispered, "Yes, Sirius. A million times yes."

They kissed again and he put the ring on her finger. It was a beautiful diamond on a fairly plain setting, but something about it spoke to Eloise.

"When I told your dad, he gave me the ring. He said it had been your mum's before she died and he'd been holding on it to it so you could have it one day," Sirius told her as if reading her mind.

And tears started racing down her face again as she looked up at him. "I love you."

how i imagine the ring to look:

dress & ring images from pinterest