five

SIRIUS CAN'T COOK

Eloise woke to the smell of burning one morning, about a few weeks later

Eloise woke to the smell of burning one morning, about a few weeks later. She bolted out of her bedroom, grabbing her wand off the bedside table, and into the kitchen, where Sirius was standing there, smiling sheepishly.

"Did I wake you?"

Eloise laughed. "What happened?"

Sirius didn't reply, just held up a pan full of what Eloise guessed was burnt eggs. 

Eloise flicked her wand towards the window as it opened, the curtains opening themselves.  Then, she lit a candle from the living room and set to work making an edible breakfast, as Sirius scrubbed the burnt substance dirty pan.

"Should I wake Dora?" Sirius asked, after he put the clean pan away.

"Dora leaves at 6:30 each morning," Eloise told him. "She's long gone, unfortunately."

Sirius felt as though he should've known that, but said nothing.

Eloise started summoning plates from the cabinet as she made tea.

"Thank you for breakfast," Sirius said.

"Oh, don't worry about it!" Eloise replied. "It's a good thing you woke me up with your burnt eggs. I can do some chores before my shift."

"Eloise," Sirius started. "Are you alright?"

Eloise looked at him curiously. "Of course."

"I could hear you crying all night."

"Oh."

"I don't completely understand how it feels, but my best friend went through the same thing back in the day," Sirius said.

Eloise nodded. "It's frustrating because I'm going to have to leave Diagon Alley and probably much of the Wizarding World for Hudson and Brooklyn. Of course, I'd do anything for them, so I will leave. I just — "

"It's going to be hard," Sirius finished.

Eloise nodded again.

"I'm going to go write a letter to Mrs. Weasley," she said after a few moments of quiet. "Then do my chores."

She abruptly stood and walked away from the table, flicking her wand over her shoulder and sending her dishes to wash themselves in the kitchen.