ch. 7

vii. from better to worse

 In the two months after that, the dynamic between the Sergeant and the Doctor changed

In the two months after that, the dynamic between the Sergeant and the Doctor changed. He was less prone to attack and she was... getting better. Her muscles had adapted and grown, the serum in her veins now pushing her farther than she'd ever gone. She now woke earlier and waited outside her tent for Sgt. Barnes bright eyed and bushy tailed. The two of them led the pack when the other soldiers joined them. And Kelsey managed to take him down a couple times when they sparred. Their conversations were less barks and more well conversing.

She had finally learned his first name when meeting him for their morning run, a sheepish expression taking over her features.

"Listen, you're my colleague and I call all my other colleagues by their first name.. but I actually don't know yours?" She admitted as they started off their five miles and a chuckle left his lips.

"We've been together everyday for over 2 months now and you don't know my first name? I mean I'd be pretty offended if I also didn't know yours," He admitted and the two of them burst out laughing.

It was the most ridiculous thing and it both hit them in the same moment. They had spent so much time wanting to strangle each other that they managed to avoid one of the most important pieces of information about each other.

"Well then, it's nice to meet you, my name is Kelsey." She got out when finishing her fit of laughter to see that smile on his face yet again.

"How do you do, my name is James, but everyone calls me 'Bucky'." Her brows furrowed at his answer and sensing her confusion he added on, "my middle name is 'Buchanan'. It's kind of weird, but my pal Steve back home has called me that forever, so it kind of stuck."

She nodded with a shrug, "Bucky's a good nickname."

By the time the pair gained the rest of the squad, and gotten back to camp, Kelsey was surprised to see the Colonel walking towards her with a frown. She tilted her head in confusion and jogged over to the man.

"In my tent. Now." She followed the older man in, anxiety creeping through her veins.

"I have.. news. You want the good or the bad?" Ice flowed into her blood, freezing her where she stood.

"Bad news. In my experience it's better to rip off bandaids than pull slowly, Sir." He nodded at her words, taking his hat off and rubbing the top of his head.

"A Hydra cell infiltrated the New York division. He attempted to steal the super soldier serum, and shot Erskine in the chest." It felt as though the air had been ripped from Kelsey's lungs and it took everything from her not to let a tear shed.