Chapter 4

Rewritten
***

Sarah Walker. That name echoed on board the Maiden's Cross. She was dead, yet this man claimed she was his client.

Whatever that meant.

Han's comrades returned to their ship, but he stayed behind only to relay a small message. "Aeryn, get off this ship." He returned to his ship. With every step, Aeryn leaned in to hear the booted footsteps. Han's boots looked like the type to make lots of noise like Sheries', but his feet hit the wood silently.

A cat. That's what he was. Acted like one, talked like one, and looked like one.

His kohl-lined eyes were dangerous, sharply shaped like a feline. However, his hair didn't match the rest of his demeanour. The style and quality were excellent, but his chocolate mauve hair collided with his black eyes. If his hair were black, he would look like Prince Charming—like a villain.

A sly villain who'd pull the rug from under you. One who would trick you into his schemes. The aura he gave off matched that of the villains Aeryn had heard about.

Seconds later, Aeryn Branche came out of her hiding spot. She watched the black ship send over their crew members, female and male, onto the Maiden.

"Give us your supplies and we won't kill anyone," said one of them, a smirk longing their lips.

Aeryn returned to her hiding spot, her back slamming against the wood of the ship and her breath increasing in speed. She promised herself she would not fear the attackers. There was no point in shivering when she could control nothing of the situation. She could only hope Sheries and his crew of hillbillies could do something about this issue. Or at least hold them off long enough for her to escape.

However, on a ship surrounded with nothing but water, escape seemed as far-fetched as breathing in the sea.

Aeryn clutched her ears, blocking off any sound, and shut her eyes. All to protect her from the horrors of being attacked.

Sheries laid on the floor, clutching his shoulder and begging for help, but no one dared move with enemies on board. No one had the drive to help their captain.

The rumbling of gunshots vibrated in Aeryn's chest. No matter how hard she clutched her ears or scrunched her body into a ball, she could not block out the yells, the gunshots... The inevitable demise she would face.

She couldn't help but smile. The Maiden's Cross got what it deserved.

Aeryn peeked out occasionally to watch people from the black ship clad in black and masks threaten the members of the Maiden for information.

"What do you know about the Tiger's Ruby?"

"I know nothing. Ask the captain!"

"Where do you keep your food?"

"In the kitchen!"

"Where are your maps?"

"In the Captain's Quarters."

Everyone was quick to answer, ready to betray the Maiden to save their own lives. Sheries had never developed a bond with his crew. And it bit him in the butt.

Then silence draped the main dock of the Maiden's Cross. A scary, ominous feeling crept up Aeryn's spine. She'd never felt true fear, but she guessed this would be good enough.

The people who'd trespassed onto the Maiden returned to the black ship.

Their assault on the Maiden did not last long. It didn't have to. Everyone on board was ready to betray anyone—everyone for themselves. There was no camaraderie on the ship. No one would protect anything. For a few extra seconds of life, they would gladly sacrifice the Maiden.