Chapter 36

***

"Jules," said Maya, "are you sure we need to take a bath? It's only been three days since we left Waihg."

Picking at his sweaty clothes and dirty feeling skin, Juele exclaimed, "Of course! If we don't, I will make a fuss. It's extremely hot, so excuse my need to cool down and clean up."

Iona, leading the group and reading the map bit her tongue to stop the vulgar word about to escape it. "I've been hearing useless things coming from the four of you for the last hour. I am unable to concentrate and figure out how we will get to the Arce Ace with your non-stop bickering."

Jules was the only one to apologize, but Illorin and Maya lowered their volume to a whisper. Both of them were the only ones from the Black Egret, and both of them were the only ones who wouldn't appreciate the essence of silence. Both Illorin and Maya fell back to the back of the group as Iona eased into a forwards walk.

Reyna stuck close to Juele and Iona, slightly intimidated by the princess. Not that her stoic form and expressionless face would ever reveal that. "Iona, do you need any help?"

"Not from you."

Reyna winced. She'd always had a bumpy relationship with Iona ever since she found out she wasn't Aeryn's first choice for quartermaster. The secret weighted down Reyna, and when she revealed it, their beautiful friendship became rocky.

And Aeryn remained oblivious. Either that, or she didn't care.

To lighten the mood, Jules grinned and straightened his back. "How about we stay in an inn or hot springs?"

Illorin promptly agreed, but Reyna was first to remind the group of the importance of their mission. Even if Captain Sehyun Han didn't provide enough information, the group should still stay on track and get to the Arce Ace as soon as possible.

"Reyna," Juele started, "relaxation is good for the soul and sound of mind."

The gunner couldn't argue with the sparkle in his eyes and the beam on his face. However, Maya could. "You sound like an elderly from the meetings I attend."

"So I sound wise?" Juele walked away before Maya could say something.

Every time he saw Maya, he was reminded of when they first met at the staircase. The few days he had spent with her in the castle, before her identity as Princess Djord being revealed, were days of happiness. A few moments of bliss in a castle made of stone and a father with a stone heart.

But of course, good things never lasted long enough for him to realize that it wasn't a trap. That it wasn't a test.

Catching up with Iona's surprisingly long strides, Juele looked over her shoulder and onto the map. "Where is the closest inn or hot springs?"

To the sudden whisper in her ears and warm breath on her shoulder, Iona flinched. "Don't sneak up on me."

"Sorry."

Steps behind the prince stood the princess and the Black Egret's gunner.

"He's rather comfortable with them both, don't you think?"

Maya gave him a blank look. "Obviously, Illorin. They were on the White Crow together for a while," she said, her tone more serious than usual.

Betrayed, Illorin raised his brows. "I was only joking."

"Of course."

"Iona," Jules started. "Where's the closest inn or hot springs?"

Annoyed, not by Juele but by the entire group, the quartermaster slapped the map into his chest. "Find it yourself."