Chapter 40

***

Juele and Maya crept around in the dungeon, routinely hiding when they spotted a guard. Of course, Jules' knowledge of the patrols and their timings--knowledge gained from previous times he had been in there--provided extra security.

He also got the feeling the guards would give up a little easier if they ever had to capture him. It was the first time he'd made an attempt to escape.

Maya tried to step quietly but her the dirt underneath her foot crumbled every time considerably louder than Juele's. Now both envious of Suzy's stealth and worried if Juele was lighter than her, she pressed her back against the wall. She was taught to always keep her eyes open in the face of fear, but clearly, her teacher wasn't great. She'd squeezed her eyes shut.

Juele waved his hand, telling her to follow him.

As they moved around the dungeon, rarely catching the eyes of prisoners in their cells, Indie followed them. The prince had told her to stay, but she betrayed no signs of wanting to leave his side.

Leaning in to whisper into her ear, Indie jumped onto him. It was the same hand signal he'd used to teach Indie to "tell a secret."

"Sit," he said sternly. "Stay."

Returning his attention to Maya, he whispered, "If we climb up those stairs, we'll reach the courtyard. The stables near there as well."

She laughed under her breath. "Who designed this castle? Who puts a stable that close to a dungeon?"

"My father did." Juele peaked over the end of a wall, seeking any guard or knight walking by. "He wanted to be able to escape if he was ever put in a cell."

"Coward. He would just leave his country behind?"

To this, Jules smiled. "Of course. It's not like he was the true heir."

The prince offered no more information before racing up the stairs, narrowingly missing the guards rounding into their hallway.

Juele picked up Indie and carried the ten-year-old like a baby.

When Maya raised a brow, he said, "She starts barking when she stands on the grass. I tried to teach her not to, but it didn't work."

Jules turned the knob, opening the door to a wonderfully kept lawn, blooming with flowers and trees that would soon be cut down. For no reason, of course. The king of Auber did not like trees.

"Why isn't that locked? Or guarded?" Maya asked, her hand instinctively reaching to pet Indie's perfect coat.

He merely shrugged.

Carefully stepping onto the grass as if it would burn him, Juele sighed. Indie wasn't barking.

On the grass, the open fields, there was no way they couldn't escape. There were no guards, no fences. Nothing.

But Prince Juele Fiore didn't let go of his deflated shoulders and worried expression. He wore them as if he were sure he would be caught.

Keeping the spirits up for both of them, Maya grabbed her hips and smiled brightly. She wanted to assure him that they had already managed to get out. Already. But all she said was, "Which way are the stables?"

Instead of pointing or answering, he headed towards the horses, their escape.

On the way, Maya took the liberty to ask questions. Ask questions that actually mattered. "Why were we put in the dungeon?"

"I think I know why, but I'm not sure. I'm guessing it's because my father wants to start a war with Tereline. I haven't a clue as to why, but our disappearance after that attack on the engagement must've been great for him." Juele treated his father's name and pronoun as venom. "And now that we came back, he must be smacking his desk and throwing papers around."