Day 6: Just another bruise

Kathy was disappointed yesterday, Matt, Carson and Mace came home late because they thought that because they won the fight, looking over their shoulder was unnecessary unless the college kids wanted payback. Well, they got it, their insignificant taste of revenge was served.

But they weren't satisfied with a few bruises and cuts. No, they wanted us to bleed.

Mace got a split lip and a blow to the nose, dark marks were ready creeping under her eyes. Carson had a slight graze on the side of his face and small cuts on his stomach. Matt was dazed when they stumbled in the front door, holding each other up. A small line of blood was trickling from his forehead. But he was tough.

They all slumped down on the floor and couch and as if on cue, we all stood up to get ice packs, towels and gauze from the first aid box.

Matt said that one of the College kids got him in the head with a busted bottle top.

Although most of us carried switchblades, we never really used them unless it was crucial. Otherwise, it was to threaten people or just not feel so helpless when you're corned in an alleyway.

Matt went to bed early, so did Carson.
I was the last to go to sleep before Mace limped to bed, hunched over slightly. I was sitting on the kitchen counter finishing off my English homework.

We all share rooms, besides from Kath because it's her house. There are three bedrooms, all small, but enough room to fit all of us in, you might say its a bit squishy, but it's okay, we like being close to each other anyway. Mace and I share the smallest room, while the boys share the biggest room, enough to fit five people. Well... Four now. And Kathy has the other small room, while if Blue was staying over, she'd take the couch, but sometimes if we knew she was coming over, one of us would take the couch before her, so she could sleep in an actual bed.

And she would refuse to take Ryder's bed, she thought it was disrespectful, like replacing him. God bess her, Ryder would be proud.

But she always said she didn't mind sleeping on the couch, apparently, it was much better than home.

But last night, the couch was empty.
In fact, none of us had seen or heard from her all day.

The next morning, both Charlie and Tam got up early, so they were cooking eggs and bacon while Kath set the table.

Matt and Carson wandered out to the aroma of sizzling bacon and eggs. Blue wandered in through the front door a few minutes later, we were all glad to see her, (mainly that she was in one piece) and as we sat down to eat, we realised that someone was missing. No words of judgment or sass could be heard, complaining over the radio so we knew exactly who was missing: Macey.

"Matt, can you go get her?" Sighed Kathy as she handed the plates out.

"That's unlike Mace to miss breakfast. I hope she's okay" Mumbled charlie as he stuffed his face with bacon.

"Mace?" Matt knocked on the door. "Breakfast is ready, you hungry?"

There was no answer, so we all turned out attention to the door. Matt frowned and glanced at Kathy. She stood up from her seat and wandered over to Matt.

"Mace! You okay?" She called. With no response again, Kathy opened the door, Macey was still in bed, but she was awake, her eyes wide and her breaths coming out in short sharp wheezes.

"Mace!" Kathy cried out as she dove to her side. "What's wrong sweety? What hurts?"

"...Ribs..." She wheezed.

Kathy pushed the blanket off her and carefully lifted her shirt to reveal her bruised ribs. None were broken, but it was enough to make breathing painful.

"Another one bites the dust." Said Tam, leaning in the door frame, his eyes glazed with concern.

Aspirin was taken, she had rested and was fed too. But we were still worried about her. Because that's what family does, that's our job, to take care of each other and worry ourselves sick, even if means just to make sure that all eight of us come home.

A/N: Do you have any ideas for me?