Day 8: Regret

After yesterday's incident, we headed home, but no one had the wind in their hair or howled to the moon, we sat in silence, for in each car, the was a traitor.

I headed to bed straight away, and since Blue was staying over, she took the couch before Mace.

"Are you sure?" She mumbled
"Yeah, it's all good," Blue replied as she sat down.

Everyone went to bed right away, there was no reason to stay up and chat. Nothing needed to be said.

Kathy said nothing, neither did Matt. Charlie and Tam were silent and kept their heads down.

I felt sick, what was going to happen, I didn't like the gang like this. The silence. Lack of eye contact. I grabbed Carson's arm as he walked by me to bed. He spun around and looked me in the eye.

I tried to read his expression, but it was blank, there was nothing there.
Everyone had gone to bed now and Blue was laying some blankets on the couch.

"Carson..." I whispered, tears welling in my eyes. I'm not sure why, I wasn't feeling sad... Just confused and needing answers.

"What's going to happen next Saturday?"

He drew his eyes away from mine, I could tell it was hard, like pulling two magnets apart.

"I'm not sure, Clair, " he admitted to the floor. He looked back to me, blinking away tears.

"But we're gonna be okay... I think." He confessed.
I loosened my grip on his arm and nodded my head.

"Goodnight Carson" I whispered, and let him go.

I lay awake, but I knew I should get some shut-eye, I had a History test the next day.

I awoke with a start, forgetting that I had shut my eyes. Mace wasn't in bed.

Shit, I must have slept in!

I jumped out of bed and got changed into some clothes that were laying on the floor, nearly tripping over as I pull my jeans on and stumble out the door.

"You better hurry up if you don't wanna be late, " Matt sighed.

"Ugh," I groan. "why didn't you wake me?!"

Matt shrugged his shoulders as he sat hunched over on the couch, flicking through different channels on the TV.

"Where's Blue?" I ask as I stuff my books into my bag.

"She already left, so did Charlie and Tam. Everyone else is at work." He replied.

"Then why are you still here?" I snap as I snatch an apple from the fruit bowl.

"Got fired," Matt said simply.

"What did you do this time?" I sigh.

"Started a fight." He grinned his stupid smile.

I sigh as I push through the fly screen door and leap down the three steps and jump the gate, I quicken my pace to a fast walk.

Taking a bite of my apple, I try to think about what subject I would have by the time I got to school.

By the time I get to school. I think I've missed my History class. I had my notes and all, I was gonna smash that test!

The school is quiet and I run through the emptiness, trying to find my locker. Some of us have inside lockers and some of us have lockers outside, I'm one of those people, it's quite chilly outside, and my fingers feel numb as I struggle to put the code in my lock.

Eventually, I swing the door open and chuck my stuff in, I take note of a couple of slackers wagging school, they a were a bit further up, leaning against the lockers, smoking a weed.