Chapter 9

Everybody met up at lunch, including Zach's friends. I later found out their names were Hunter, Carson, Elijah, and Noah. Wow, that worked out perfectly, 5 girls and 5 boys. Each one of my friends seemed to be taking a liking to one of the boys and vise versa. It was amazing. Anyway, we got to the cafeteria and Lily, Carmen, and I went to go get our lunch like yesterday. We were on our way back to the table, when these three girls stopped us from getting anywhere. "Hey, look guys it's Siena! You know, the girl who ruined the whole school system on her first day," said one of the girls. I then realized these were the slutty cheerleaders Zach was talking about. "I changed the system for the better, now can I please just have lunch with my friends?" I ask as nice as possible. "Oh honey, you didn't change anything for the better. Everything was perfect the way it was, and then you had to go and romance Zach. It changed the perfect atmosphere we had in this school. The nerds wouldn't talk to us and we wouldn't talk to the nerds. But now we have the science club thinking they are allowed to even come near us? Haha, that just won't do,"said another girl. "Guys, I don't want any trouble, Zach changed on his own and it made the school a better place, so can we just get to our table please?" "What's going on here," Zach said coming up. "Nothing much, just some bitches ruining the entire school," said the first girl. "You know what Casey? I made this decision on my own and I don't need your damn stamp of approval to do anything so why don't you back up and let Siena get to lunch." The girls broke apart immediately and we were able to get to our table finally. "Thanks, that was way to much drama for me to handle," I said shaking. The old Siena would've slapped her into next Tuesday, but I couldn't even threaten to do that anymore, I had to be perfect.

We finished lunch and school went by pretty quick. I got a ride home from Carmen. Zach saw me get out of the car and walked right up to me, "I'm sorry about lunch, they're just jealous I guess, I don't know." "It's fine," I said hugging him, "I've dealt with much worse." We walked through my front door with his arm around me when we both stopped in our tracks. My mother look at us from the sofa and smiled. "Siena, are you going to introduce us?" she asked still smiling. "Mom, this is Zach. Zach this is my mom, Sandy." "Hi Mrs. Zimmerman, you have a LOVELY home." "Please, it's Sandy, and thank you. Would you guys like a snack?" "I'll just pop some popcorn and get water bottles, okay?" I asked, looking for his approval. "Ya, that'd be great. Thanks."

We got our snacks and headed up to the balcony. We both got into one comfy chair and cuddled. He kissed the top of my head and said, "Siena, I've know you for less than 48 hours, and I've already fallen in love with you." I looked up at him and could tell he really meant it. He made me smile so often I couldn't even remember the last time I was sad.... and it's been less than two days. "I love you too, Mr. Good Looking," I laughed. "What?" he laughed back. "When I didn't have a name to match that gorgeous face of yours, I called you Mr. Good Looking." "I like it," he laughed again, kissing me. I pulled away for a second to notice my dad was back home. He pulled into the drive-way and I decided it would be best to let him catch up with my mom before he met Zach. I waited a while, but saw him get back into his car about 10 minutes later with a suitcase. I left Zach in my room to ask my mom about it. As I got downstairs I saw she was crying. "Mom? Is everything okay?" I ask, not knowing what's going on. She whispered, "H-he left us." That's all she could get out. The breath was knocked out of me as I struggled for words. I couldn't find any. I ran back upstairs, but halfway up the stairs I started crying. I slammed the door shut to my room, completely forgetting Zach was still there. I fell to the ground sobbing and Zach was by my side in an instant. He sat me against the wall as I broke down in his arms. He didn't ask any questions or say anything until I had mostly stopped crying. All he did was rock me back and forth, rubbing circles on my back. I knew my mom was downstairs sobbing too, but she had nobody to comfort her like I did.

"As soon as you're ready to talk, I'm here," said Zach, whispering. It took me about five minutes to say what had been running through my mind. "M-my d-dad left us an-and my m-mom probably can't keep this h-house because it's too much money f-for us t-to pay," I say trying to stutter as little as possible. He just sat there, still rocking me back and forth, calming me down. I saw him get out his phone and call someone. "Hey mom, I was wondering if we could have guests over for dinner tonight?" I heard another voice at the end of the line speak, but couldn't quite make out what they were saying. "It's the new neighbors, ya." More mumbling from the other line. "Okay, thanks mom, love you." I stared up at him, knowing what he just did. I stood up, "Zach, you can't help support us, you have your own family to pay for." "It's just one night to get your mind off of things, come on babe, you'll feel better after a full meal." "I'm a mess Zach, and my mom probably is too." "Well why don't I help you get fancied up and we can go eat dinner, ya?" "Fine," I gave in.

I go downstairs and tell my mom about the dinner. She finally agrees and goes to get ready. Zach helps me pick out a nice flowy dress and wedges. Next I go to touch up my running makeup and messy hair. I walk out of the bathroom and he looks at me and just says, "Beautiful."

We walk over to his house, my mom's eyes still puffy. We're welcomed in and I meet his very nice mother. "Welcome, welcome!" she states, letting us in. "You must be the girl Zach talks about all the time," she says looking at me. I look over at Zach and smile, but he's blushing at the ground. "I guess I am," I laugh, "you have a lovely house Mrs. Roberts." "Thank you, and it's Beth! Won't you come eat?" I walk into the dining room with my mom and as she introduces herself to Zach's mom. Zach looks at me and then takes me over to his dad. "Dad, this is Siena. Siena, this is my father." "Well hello! So this is the lucky girl," his dad says, shaking my hand. "Yep," I say smiling and looking at Zach. We get into our seats as Mrs. Rober- Beth, brings out the food.

*
*
*

"Well that was an amazing dinner, thank you Beth," my mom says. "Oh, any time, it was a pleasure having you over!" "Well, we might not being staying here much longer," my mom says looking down. "Why not? Is it the neighborhood?" asked Beth. "Well, no, my husband just left us a few hours ago and I don't think my income will afford this lovely house," said my mom, using laughter to covers up the tears forming in her eyes. "Oh my, I'm so sorry! You may stay here as long as you need, anything you need we can help you with, okay?" said Beth. "Oh absolutely not, I can't be imposing on you guys, we'll be fine as long as I'm allowed to work longer hours," said my mom. "Well if you need anything, we're right across the street." "Thank you so much for the dinner," my mom said again. "Have a nice night," Beth said to my mom and me. I kissed Zach goodbye and said quietly, "Thank you, we really needed this." "No problem, princess," he said kissing my head. "I love you." "I love you too," he said now kissing me again and saying goodbye.
He closed the door and I walked across the street with my mom. "That boy is a keeper," said my mom, and I whispered to myself, "I know."