Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

CHAPTER 10: POPPING THE QUESTION

10.
Owen replayed the moment he watched that guy kiss Conan. He knew him - he was on the football team. Jaxon Briar. Owen knew he looked familiar but only recognized him when he showed up at football practice Monday morning.

The night of the party was a bit of a blur after drinking so much to soothe his buzzing mind. He and Conan ended up going to McDonald's at one o'clock in the morning before driving him home so Conan wouldn't worry his mother. But Owen didn't get to enjoy their time spent together as much as he usually would've because he was busy imagining beating the shit out of Jaxon the entire time.

Owen wasn't a violent kind of guy, though Jaxon really made him question his morals.

"Line up!" he shouted, the football team following his orders without pause.

The final cuts had been made and the team was official by this time. Unfortunately, Jaxon had already been accepted since Owen hadn't paid him any attention until now. He selfishly wanted Jaxon off the team but knew he couldn't abuse his power.

All the boys had heaving chests, covered in dirt and sweat. The air smelled like freshly cut grass and filled their nostrils pleasantly. It was the kind of outdoorsy scent that brought Owen the uttermost peace.

"Go take a water break," he ordered after a moment. He wasn't tired himself but the team looked exhausted.

"Wilson, get over here!" the coach yelled.

The boys all ran over to greedily gulp down water as Owen jogged across the field to Coach Matthews. As he neared Coach, he began to make out the two other bodies next to him.

One was the principal, the other was Duncan.

"What's going on?" Owen asked confusedly, suspiciously eyeing Duncan who had a shit-eating grin on his face.

"Duncan's going to be on the team." Coach held in an exasperated sigh. He didn't like the boy either.

Before Owen could object the principal cleared her throat. "I won't let my students be discriminated against, Mr Wilson." She pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose. "And I'm very disappointed in you for treating one of your peers like this."

Owen blinked, dumbfounded.

"Discriminated against?" he repeated slowly. "For what?"

"Don't play your mind games with me, Wilson." The principal's lips were turned into a tight line as she spoke, "I will not tolerate discrimination against the LGBT community in this school!"

"Homophobia?" Owen said in bewilderment. "You're gay?" he asked Duncan.

"This is about his brother," Coach cut in.

Owen's blood ran cold as the three continued to speak. He wasn't listening to a word. All he could think about was how Conan's gay.

Did that mean he had a chance with the boy? If he liked boys, he could like Owen too, right? But then again his parents would be furious. They were disappointed in him enough already.

"I want no more of this discrimination nonsense going on in my school. If I hear about this again then I'm going to need to find a new team captain." The principal narrowed her eyes at Owen who was still in another realm.

"Yes ma'am." Coach nodded his head along to her every word despite being pissed. "I apologize again."

"Why don't you go show Duncan to his locker? And find him some gear," she suggested though it was more of a demand.

Owen gritted his teeth. He wasn't homophobic. He hadn't done anything wrong.

"But I-"

"Go, Wilson." Coach gave him a knowing look.