1: The Bread Winner

Chapter 1

Somewhere beyond a bustling city that never seemed to sleep was a small but well-designed vintage house sitting atop a secluded hill that overlooked the harbor and that same city below.

A vast garden that consisted of many trees, bushes, and flowers, mostly of lavenders, lilies, and different kinds of roses, surrounded the house.

Birds flew across the clear sky with the occasional clouds scattering here and there, and below them were the turquoise blue of the glistening water on a nearby river and the stunning green of the hills with forest and multiple dots of houses and buildings below.

On a day like this one, though slightly breezy and cold, the view was spectacular.

From a stranger's point of view, one would marvel at how Disney-like and lovely the house and its ambiance would be. No doubt that living in such a place would bring good memories to come. However, not everything was what it seemed.

Through the window, bright rays of morning sunlight flashed upon a beautiful teenager, which enhanced her overall natural and delicate features, such as her fair and poreless skin, perfectly-shaped brows, long and thick lashes, large almond-shaped dark brown eyes, red plump heart-shaped lips, and luscious straight-from-the-top and wavy-to-the-waist black hair that glowed golden upon direct contact with the sunlight.

Moreover, her spaghetti strap and knee-length white dress and nonchalant expression made her seem more ethereal like a goddess.

She sat on the couch, watching a certain television show that occasionally made her eyebrows furrow and twitch a couple of times, wrinkling her fair and porcelain-like skin

Why?

Because today was a Saturday-- A day wherein she had to pass the time by watching boring consecutive cringe-worthy comedic shows that seemed to not at all try to develop itself into something award-worthy. From the past years until now, the same kind of jokes continued to air on the screen.

"This will definitely make the channel lose more audience," she thought.

Despite her remorse for the show, she still patiently watched the show to occupy herself from trying to awkwardly face a certain woman.

She unwrinkled her brows and directly looked towards the electronic clock showing 'Saturday, 7:00 am' and, at the same time, a beautiful middle-aged lady elegantly ran downstairs.

In just a second, the teen watched and scanned her appearance from head to toe out of boredom.

The middle-aged lady had a blonde-dyed hair tied into a stylish chignon, a perfectly made-up face that covered her wrinkles, expensive rubies, a sexy long red gown that enhanced both her slim waist and cupped bosom, and a pair of silver high heels.

The girl then immediately shifted her gaze back to the television so as to not make eye-contact with that woman.

Thinking about how that woman's whole body must have had plastic surgery, especially on her chest, made her feel a bit sad.