THREE

Amara stared at her boss on the table as the doctors operated on him. Her whole body was shaking but she was trying to calm herself down. She thought this situation was way more painful than her time at Hydra. Now, they found her again. She's a target.

His target.

Amara heard footsteps entering the room. She felt Natasha's presence beside her.

"Is he gonna make it?" Natasha asked breaking the silence that fell among the room.

"He better," Amara said worriedly. She looked towards Nat to see fear mixed with anger upon her face.

"Tell me about the shooter," Nat demanded.

"He's fast and strong. He had a metal arm," Steve told her.

"Not to mention menacing," Amara implied.

"Ballistics?" asked Nat.

"Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable," Hill answered.

"Soviet-made," Nat stated. Amara took a deep breath in realizing that this was sort of something new, especially for her.

She wasn't used to anything like this at all. Ever since Hydra, Fury just had Amara do simple missions because that's all there was. Well, until Loki showed up in New York. Now this, she needed to step up her game. Sure, she had her strength and speed but it was nowhere what Steve was. Or even this mystery assassin.

There is no normal no more.

Amara's heart raced when she saw the state of her boss as the machines start going off rapidly.

"He's in V-tach!" one of the doctors shouted.

"Crash cart coming in!" another one yelled out.

"Please don't," Amara mumbled.  The doctors rush and rush to try and save Nick and Amara could just feel her breath hitch.

"Don't do this to me, Nick," Nat said worriedly.

Amara really started to panic inside when the machine flatlined. She saw the doctors try to revive him and when the doctor shook his head, that's when she knew.

"Time of death, one-o-three a.m." the doctor called out.

Amara put her head down and felt the tears she was holding in fall. She looked over at Steve, who was looking down towards his hand. Amara looked down and saw a device in his hand. Her eyebrows scrunched; wondering what he was holding.

Steve walked out of the room and Amara followed, along with Nat.

The three stood upon Nick's still body that was lying on the table. Amara keeps remembering the time that Nat and Nick saved her that day from Hydra and her life changed forever. In a way, she never really had a father figure until Fury.

Now, he's gone. And she could never re-pay him or thank him. Even though she practically thanked him millions of times. Nat was standing next to Nick for the longest time. I guess that was the person Nat admired too.

"I need to take him," Hill says as Steve walks towards Nat, leaving Amara leaning against the wall, completely emotionless.

"Natasha," Steve walked towards her but she just turns and walks away as Amara follows them.

"Natasha!" Steve calls out again as Nat turns around looking at the two.

"Why was Fury in your apartment?" Nat asks Steve as she looks towards Amara. " And why were you with them," she asked her.