FIVE

On their way out of the rubble that almost killed the three of them, Steve had suggested to go to a friends house.

"Are you sure we can trust this guy?" Amara questioned Steve as the three made their way to the backdoor of his friend's house.

"Positive," Steve confirmed as he knocked a few times on the door.

Amara scoffed, "I'll believe that when I see it,"  Just a few seconds later, the door opened. Amara recognized the man; even though it took her a few seconds to figure it out. This was the man that she and Nat found Steve talking to before their mission over the ocean.

"Hey man," Sam greeted him and looked at the other two women that accompanied him.

Steve sighed, "Sorry about this but we need a place to lay low."

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us," Nat remarked.

Amara rose her eyebrows, "Literally."

Sam hesitated for a second before taking in what the trio just said. "Not everyone," he breathed out before he moved to the side, gesturing for them to enter.

"There's a bathroom in the back if you guys want to get cleaned up," Sam offered while Steve nodded, thanking him.

"You guys go. I'll wait," Amara barely smiled as Steve and Nat made their way to the back.

A few minutes pass by as Amara looked at Sam before looking around his place.

"Sam is it?" she asked.

"Yes ma'am," he confirmed before taking a seat at the kitchen table, Amara joining him.

"You good with taking in...what do you call it? Fugitives?" she quipped.

Sam chuckled as Amara tilted her head, "By my understanding of history, I don't know why anyone would want to kill Captain America; much less you two women."

"Me? Maybe. Steve and Nat? Not so much," she confessed.

"And why's that?" he asked her, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Because I'm like Steve. Sort of. Hydra never got to finish what they were doing with me so maybe they are reappearing to finish me off? Kill me? I have no clue to be honest," Amara said, picking her fingernails thanks to her anxiety.

"Wait so you're like Steve but not like Steve?" Sam asked hysterically.

"I'm stronger and faster than you, just not as much to Steve," Amara stated. "Plus, I can still get drunk and he can't. So that's a bonus."

"That is confusingly understandable," Sam laughed.

"Yeah, you're telling me."

Nat and Steve entered the kitchen, joining the two at the table.

"Do you want the powers?" Sam asked suddenly. Amara shot her head up with her eyebrows furrowed. No one has ever asked her that before.

"To be honest, not really. Out of all the shit I've done in my life, I just feel like I don't deserve them; no matter where they came from," she told truthfully as Sam nodded.

They sat in awkward silence for a few seconds before Sam spoke up. "I'll make us some breakfast, if you guys... eat that sort of thing," he joked.

Steve nodded, "Thank you, Sam."

Amara stood up from her seat, "I'm gonna get cleaned up," she said as she made her way to the bathroom. She felt a hand on her shoulder as she turned around, revealing Nat.

"Hey, you good?," Nat tilted her head.

"Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?" Amara questioned.

"I've known for for a while now Amara. I can tell when somethings not right. And when you're lying," Nat rose an eyebrow.

Amara sighed, "I just thought this was all over when you and Fury rescued me. I guess Hydra had other plans. Though I'm not really surprised. I was just hoping, that's all," she smiled faintly as Nat pulled her into a hug.

"It's gonna be okay. Trust me," she smiled at Amara before turning around and making her way back to the kitchen.

Amara made her way into the bathroom and closed the door behind her. She turned on the shower and went and leaned against the sink as she looked into the mirror.

"You're so gonna need a drink once all this is over," she said to herself and she went and got into the shower; letting go all the emotional and physical stress with every single drop of water that fell.

I feel like this story is a bit rushed so if this chapter seems short, I'm trying to slow it down a little bit :)