PROLOGUE

ELEVEN YEAR OLD JANE SCREAMED IN TERROR AS HER MOTHER ATTACKED HER

ELEVEN YEAR OLD JANE SCREAMED IN TERROR AS HER MOTHER ATTACKED HER. She was not able to fight and defend herself for she can never put herself to hurt her own mother. Hence, she did the one thing she could do.

Run.

She ran as the creature that has the semblance of her own mother trailed behind her. The Crank growled as she chased the terrified child.

Martha Bertrand was gone, but the nine year old was a fool. She still believed that her mother was still there, somewhere. However, deep down she knew the truth. That's why her instinct was to run, but she still kept telling herself otherwise.

Oh, how naive she was.

She let her feet guide her as she planned to get out of the maze-like house. The girl knew every way and secret of the mansion. It was her abditory from the harshness of the world. And now, in her so called safe place, she was running like a prey and her mother was the predator.

Nowhere is safe.

She wished her father was present, but he was busy as always. He rarely goes home, but the nine year old knew that he had a purpose. He was a scientist after all, he could help her mama.

But she doesn't know that it's already too late.

Martha kept it a secret. She wasn't immune, and now her daughter was in danger.

Jane dashed down the twirling stairs and was on her way to the front door. A loud thud was heard, followed by a screech. Her chest was pounding as she reached out for the doorknob. Everything happened so fast, one inch closer and she could've gotten out, but she was pulled back and shoved roughly to the tiled ground.

Jane let out a scream when she felt the Crank's teeth dug in her skin. The pain in her wrist was all she felt but she didn't expect the Crank to move away.

Jane thought that her mother was finally back, but how wrong she was.

Martha looked like she was suffering from asphyxiation. Her body that was filled with dark veins collided to the ground. Jane just stood there, watching the scene unfold in front of her eyes. Her body was paralyzed in horror as her mother let out a shrill scream.

The Crank felt like her whole body was ablazed. Though, there was no fire.

Little Jane didn't know what to do.

The woman squirmed on the ground, screaming in agony. Jane couldn't bear to see it so she chose to close her eyes, letting her tears fall down her on her rosy cheeks. Her hands flew up to her ears, but it wasn't enough to block the sound of misery of her mother.

And then it stopped.

The screams has stopped.

Jane didn't know what to expect.

She wished she didn't open her eyes.

But she did.

She opened her eyes and saw her lifeless mother on the ground.

Martha died when the nine year old's blood had spread in her system. Jane could still hear the wails and screams of her mother despite the defeaning silence that filled the room.

She stood there, frozen, in front of her now deceased mother. The pain of the crank bite on her wrist was replaced by an agonizing pain in her chest. She didn't know how long she stood there, she just waited until her knees grew weak and gave in. Her cries echoed that she didn't even heard the footsteps approching her.

Dominic Bertrand released a devastated scream as he saw his now dead wife on the tiled ground.

He didn't even realized that she was infected. How could he? He kept himself busy to find a cure and neglected his family. And now he lost one. He embraced the lifeless body of his wife and mourned for her.

◢◤◇◥◣◥◤◢◤◆◥◣◥◤◢◤◇◥◣

DOMINIC TOOK HIS DAUGHTER TO A WICKED FACILITY. He was still gobsmacked that his only child was the cure all along. The Crank bite on Jane's wrist healed like a normal wound would, and she didn't tranform in to a savage being. He instantly believed that his daughter was the cure they were searching for. He busied himself with anything else when what they were looking for was already in front of him.

Or so he thought.

He was quick to inform the Chancellor, "We must start some tests."

And so they did.

However, they didn't get the outcome they wanted. The Crank that they injected the cure to, ended up dead.

Their expressions were filled with horror by its reaction. Dominic's once proud expression vanished and it turned into terror. Ava sighed at him with a disappointed expression and just walked away.

Dominic became too obsessed in finding the cure even before his wife died. And now, that he found out that his daughter has some kind of mutation, he began to think of her as a monster. More monstrous than the Cranks. So, he concluded that Jane's blood also killed his wife. Little Jane began to see her own father surrender in to insanity, especially when he forced her to be his experiment.

It was like she didn't know him anymore.

The nine year old didn't understand her father.

He told her that it was for her own good. That he will make her normal again.

But it ended up with the lab being ignited with fire and Dominic didn't survive.

The little girl was terrified. She was scared of everyone, now, including herself. She stared at the bright flames on her hands, though she didn't feel any pain. Soon enough, soldiers appeared and the blonde woman in white came.

"Don't worry, Jane. I'm here to help you."

A man with grays in his hair also appeared. "Janson. She's your responsibility now." said the woman.

She was still grieving at the loss of her parents and WICKED's experiments broke her even more.

She was too naive to agree to come with them. She was too innocent to think that they will actually help her.

They experimented on her and they used her. The harshness of the world has already touched her and it shattered her.

The experiments of her father triggered something inside of her. A fire that was kept in a bottle.

Now it's out.
And WICKED used it as leverage to destroy cities.