Chapter 5: The Call

I sat up abruptly, panting for air. My clothes drenched in sweat and clung to my body-constricting me. I frantically turned my head, disorientated and confused at the unfamiliarity of the place.

Where the hell am I?

I struggled to recall what happened. I curled up as I held my head with my clenched hands, trying hard to remember.

I snapped my head back up when realization finally hit me. I was at Gideon's apartment presumably, in his bedroom. Why am I in his bedroom? Bewilderment took the best of me; I tried to recall more of last night.

Suddenly it all came to me, like some unknown force striking; demons and secrets along with the sensation of falling. Yes, especially the falling. Did I pass out?

Panic swept through me; this had never happened to me before. I waited for my nerves to calm down and my racing heart to slow. But the room started to revolve around me. I lay back down on the bed, until the spinning subsided.

Just when I thought I have seen the last of that nightmare, it came back to yet again haunt and terrorize me. It was like déjà vu only the dream had taken its turn for the worst. I closed my eyes; I could still see the pair of red eyes, as if imprinted on my brain.

I sat back up as slowly as possible to avoid any incoming wave of dizziness. The faint sunlight shined through the curtains of the window, which only meant it was morning. I gazed at a digital clock on his bedside table and saw it was half past nine.

There was a framed picture beside it. A young man dressed in a graduation toga beamed at the camera alongside with an older gentleman. Both men had an arm around each other and looked genuinely happy. This-without a doubt-was Gideon during his graduation ceremony with who I guessed could be his father.

I couldn't help but noticed how the picture lack the presence of a mother; which left me wondering on how such a young, care-free man evolved into who he was now; tough, cold and as though carried the weight of the world on his shoulders.

I glanced around and examined the small room; the décor itself was an exact replica of the whole apartment-black against white. There was a study table positioned by the window, but was bare besides for a few books and a lampshade. A built-in closet was at the left side from the door and a black-leathered loveseat sat by a vacant wall. Perched on the upholstery was my backpack.

I got off the bed and was surprise by the coolness of the tiles beneath my feet; I hadn't realized I was barefooted. I suddenly felt a pang of guilt on the burden I've caused them. Guess I'll have to thank them.

I snatched my bag and searched for my hygiene kit, opting to at least freshen up a bit before leaving the bedroom. I gingerly opened a door closest to the bed and was pleased when it was a connecting bathroom. I took my time as I scrubbed my face, as I attempted to remove any lingering tension of last night. I examined myself in the mirror and cringed; my long and thick auburn hair was all over the place, my eyes had designer bags underneath them and my skin was pale as a ghost. I've noticed a small purplish bruise at the left side of my forehead; I must have hit something when I fell last night. I cautiously applied a small amount of pressure on it and surprisingly it didn't hurt much. Deciding that's the best I can do to recover my appearance, I headed out of the room with my bag.

# # # # # #

Alex had a close call last night. Even before she fainted, I knew she sensed what I've already felt. A dark and sinister presence lurked nearby, probably just down the hall or maybe out the building. But it was close. Close enough for its energy and hers to clash, and sent her completely drained like a battery.