Alternate Hope

Major Fate Apocrypha plot spoilers in this oneshot. If you haven't seen it, leave while you still can...
______________________________________

        The very first thing (y/n) noticed when he regained conciousness was that it was raining. He could feel the rain pouring down on him before the sound registered in his mind. Then immediately following this realization was pain. The throbbing pain spreading throughout his back kept him from making any further progress in identifying his surroundings.

        He let out a small cry of discontent as he did his best to ignore the painful sensation. Along with the pain, he noticed that something was missing, but he could quite recall what that was. His thoughts were too fuzzy to immediately figure it out. Slowly, (y/n) began to recall the situation he was in before he was knocked unconscious.

        Their mission had failed horribly. Not his, of course, since he was still alive. The Mage Association had sent assassins from the Clock Tower to have him killed since he was in possession of a pseudo holy grail. The replica of the real deal was still quite a powerful object. Summoning a single heroic spirit among other things was well within the false grail's capabilities, most of which were forbidden for mages to have access to.

        Rolling over onto his side, (y/n) suddenly panicked when he realized exactly what it was that he was missing. "Mordred!" he called through the rain. He was not a master enrolled in a holy grail war, so calling the red knight by her true name rather than her class would cause no harm. When he got no answer, he attempted to stand, but his injury cried out to him and caused him to stumble back to the ground.

        "Oh, so you're not dead." He could just barely hear her familiar voice over the rain. She walked towards him, her sword still stained with blood despite the rain water washing it away. Her clothes were soaked from the rain since she hadn't bothered to use her armor since being summoned.

        "That's rude. I thought you valued my life more than that," (y/n) joked. He knew Mordred meant well and was more than relieved just to hear her voice. "You act like you were disappointed."

        "You're still bleeding," Mordred noted. She stared at him with a hand outstretched to help him get onto his feet.

        (Y/n) deadpanned at her bluntness. "Are you going to keep stating the obvious?" he questioned as he took Mordred's hand. She didn't give him an answer, but once he was standing, she gave him a slight smirk.

        "You just love close encounters with death, don't you? When are you going to stop all of this and just relax? They keep finding you because you keep trying to find him," Mordred spoke.

        "Can we not talk about this right now? I'm still kind of dying here." He didn't feel like discussing this particular matter anyway. He knew that he wouldn't have to worry about the Mage Association if he just stopped looking for him, but (y/n) refused to give up on his father. That was something he refused to do no matter how many times Mordred asked.

        "You're not dying. Your necromancer skill thing or whatever you call it is healing you. You're lucky we're in a cemetery this time. If we'd have been anywhere else, that guy would have killed you," Mordred growled. She was right. He possessed a rare ability that allowed him to heal at an alarming rate depending on how many dead people were nearby. It was an odd ability, but he was a necromancer so things like that were normal.

        "He shot me in the back. I wouldn't have died that quickly. He didn't even aim for anything vital." He would have said more, but (y/n) fell silent once he saw Mordred's glare. She hardly ever glared at him like that, so he knew she was certainly upset. "Nevermind, let's just get out of this rain before more of them show up. They'll send more after me once they realize their guys are dead." To his relief, Mordred didn't say anything else about his goal nor did she snap at him for upsetting her.