Chapter 32

Fred went to Mia's apartment and when he knocked for a while he went to the café and when she wasn't there he knew where she was going to be. On his way to the library, he made a stop at a Chinese restaurant and a supermarket.

He arrived at the library at half past six with thirty minutes left before Mia had to close the library. He took the grocery bag and headed inside. He caught sight of her behind the counter, focused on something she was reading. He walked to the counter and was surprised she didn't bother to look up to see who it was which was something she did when she worked at the library before she left. Fred arrived at the counter and watched her for a second and looked at the book she was reading. He smiled and shook his head before he hit the call bell.

Mia looked up from her book and stopped.
"Fred."

"You should be aware of everyone who walks in, it's not safe to..."

"Harry installed a new system; anyone who tries to walk out with a book unchecked an alarm goes off."

"I meant to say it's not safe for you. If it wasn't a lurcher but someone dangerous."

She nodded.

"Brushing up?" He nodded to the book she was reading.

She closed the law book she had been studying.
"Something like that."

He smiled.
"I'm sorry I didn't call all day to inform you why I couldn't meet. Vincent called pretty early in the morning and I had to head to the office to put out the fire. We didn't want Andre getting word before it was fixed."

She smiled because she knew it wouldn't have been something less important for him to blow her off.

"You've got thirty minutes before you have to lock up, want to have dinner?"

"No one has been in for an hour, but yes, we can order something or head out to have dinner."

"Actually, I was wondering if we could head upstairs, I have dinner with me." Fred lifted the bag he was carrying.

"Oh," Mia said as she got up. "I should change the sign, so we can head upstairs."

Fred nodded and watched her walk to a shelf to return her book and to the door to lock it and change the sign. She headed his way.
"Let's go."

Fred walked behind Mia as they headed to the second floor and headed to the back, her favorite place in the library, where the floor to ceiling window was. When they arrived there, she sighed at the view. There was nothing happening tonight but it was still beautiful with all the lights.

"No carnival tonight," Fred said.

Mia turned to look at him and smiled.
He remembered.

Fred pulled out two chairs but just like the last time, Mia plopped up on the table to sit which made Fred smile.

"I hope you like Chinese." He asked.

"Pretty much."

Fred brought out everything from the bag including a bottle of wine and two recyclable cups which made Mia smile.

Fred caught her.
"What?"

She shook her head with the smile still on her face.
"You remembered."

"Of course, I do."

"You know..." Mia began as he poured wine into the cups. "that night was when I realized I had feelings for you."

Fred looked at her as he handed her a cup.

"Thank you." She said

"So, I was the one who gave you butterflies."