25

i sat on the edge of the spare bed, rubbing my head in frustration. i hadn't picked up my phone in days, i mean what would i say? "hey, my mother dragged me back to korea because i lied to her and cost her $3,000." like what? how would i even explain that?

"hey-jaehyun?" my sister asked, lightly tapping on the door. i looked up and there she stood with a sympathetic look on her face. i didn't respond, but she came in anyways. "can i talk to you?"

"sure."

jihye sat down beside me. "mom is really upset. why'd you lie?"

i inhaled heavily, blinking my tears away. "mom hates what i love. she believes i should be more like you, more like our family. that's not me, i didn't wanna study accounting at some stupid school."

jihye sighed and began to rub my back. "well, beck has called me about 20 times. you haven't answered your friends in days they're worried about you."

i nodded my head, looking over at my phone. "i know but..what am i gonna say?"

"that's for you to figure out little sis, i've gotta go help appa with dinner. i love you." she smiled.

when she left the room i flopped back onto my bed, picking up my phone and typing a message.

-

ME
hey dude

AGUSTDEFINED
YOU'RE IN FUCKING KOREA?!?
WHAT HAPPENED WE'VE BEEN WORRIED
I SHOULD KICK YOUR ASS

ME
CHILL i don't have the mental capacity to handle this rn
mom found out about school and the hospital trip
apparently they mailed the bills to her and she found out about everything

AGUSTDEFINED
SHIT dude
what're you gonna do now?

ME
well she's angry, really angry
she wants to keep me here and have me go to college here
i have to pay her back the money and then maybe i can convince her to let me come back to nyc

AGUSTDEFINED
i wanna come and see you

ME
yeah my mom would not allow that

AGUSTDEFINED
why the hell is she even trying to control you anyways? you're literally a LEGAL adult

ME
yeah exactly
how's chris and felix and seungmin and bin?

AGUSTDEFINED
they're good
chris was worried dude, we all were

ME
i should text him shouldn't i?

AGUSTDEFINED
yeah, you should
i miss and love you, go call chris dummy

ME
i miss and love you too hoe

-

i dialed chris's number slowly. my heart was beating out of my chest, i really did miss him a lot.

"hello?" he answered groggily.

i checked the time, it was about 11 pm. "hey."

i heard shuffling for a few seconds and then chris returning to the phone. "hello? jae??" he asked, more alert than before.

"yeah it's me." i chuckled.

"i haven't heard from you. what happened?"

"well, my mom found out about dance. she wasn't too happy to say the least, so now i'm in korea." my voice cracked at the last part.

chris sighed heavily, "oh god i'm sorry.."

"it's okay, i just wanna go back to new york. i'm sorry for not responding." i said.

"look it's okay, i'm just glad you're okay. are you gonna go back?" he spoke, leaning against his office chair.

"well i'm gonna try. i owe my parents some money so once i find out how to get it i think i'll be okay."

"how much is it?" chris asked.

"don't even start chris." i laughed, "you're not giving me any money."

he pouted, "but i want to help."

"yes i know you do, but this is my problem okay? not yours." i smiled.

"okay. you should get some sleep alright? i know you're tired."

"i will, goodnight. i missed you."

"i missed you too."

-

DADDYCHAN sent a photo

CHANSBABYGIRL took a screenshot

ME
너 아주 귀엽구나 ;)
(how cute you are)

-