Some Things Never Change

WARNING: mentions of rape, abuse, and prostitution

Y/N POV

I listened to the whirs and the whistles of the street, staring intently at the ceiling as I desperately reached for the concept of sleep, allowing the cluster of ideas that filled my head to overflow my brain and take over my body.  I let out an annoyed sigh, running my fingers through my hair angrily and groaning loudly at the stillness of the air that surrounded me, breathing out deeply and giving up on ever getting the chance to fall asleep.  I blinked when suddenly my eyelids began to grow heavy, the soft glow of the bar's sign across the street fading into darkness, my shallow breathes echoing in my ears lazily as consciousness slipped from my grasp, letting the darkness cave in around me like walls collapsing in a crumbling building.  Without warning, the slam of the front door and the shatter of a vase awoke me from my almost slumber, shooting up from my bed and sprinting down the stairs only to find a man aggressively gripping my mother's wrist, pinning her to the wall by her throat, tears streaming down her face remorsefully.  Anger gathered in my chest the longer I stared, a spark igniting in my spirit which soon turned into an inferno of wrath, clutching my fists to my sides as I began to breathe deeply, my eyes a reading flame of hatred and disgust.

My mother gained the courage to open her eyes and gasped, shoving the man off of her and clearing her throat, her cheeks flushing pink with embarrassment as she glanced back at the stranger that was in our home, nervously chuckling.  She walked up to me and nodded for me to follow her back up the stairs, leaning against the wall with my arms crossed irratibly, watching her close the door behind her quietly, glaring daggers into her soul.  She put her hand on one hip and sighed angrily, presiding her lips into a fine line and fighting with her light auburn hair, noticing that her makeup was extra flashy and more provocative than usual.

"You should be in bed," she growled, tapping her foot on the ground a million miles a minute.

I ignored her, darting my eyes to the ground for a couple of seconds, thinking of what question I should ask her first, considering I had a about a dozen floating around in my head at that moment.

"Why is he here?" I questioned, waiting for a response from her part, but one didn't come.  Silence draped ok the ground between us, realization striking me harder than a bullet to the gut, shaking my head fearfully.  " No, y-you said that you would stop doing this once we moved, you promised!"

"How else do you expect me to make money, Y/N?" she retaliated, her black stiletto heels clacking against the floor like a bad reminder of the past.

Anger was flooding over now, tears springing into my eyes, not only because I was frustrated, but because I couldn't believe that she lied to me, that she was going to let these men hurt me just like before, that she was going to let them strip me if my innocence, all for money.  We were supposed to be running away from all of that, but instead we circled back around to where we were before.

"Maybe not as a street whore who gives herself to every man who passes her!" I shot back, twin tears pouring down my face.

Suddenly, she leapt across the room and pinned me to the wall by my neck, hey face burning with hated that she was now taking out on me

"Listen here you little bitch," she snarled, squeezing tighter on my throat, making it impossible for me to breathe, "I'm doing this for us, you hear me, so stop whining and be glad that you at least have a roof over your head, got it?"

I nodded my head vigorously, releasing me and letting me drop to the floor, gasping for air and pointing my head to the ground in shame, the door slamming behind her as she left, my h/c hair flopping over my shoulder lazily, my face now stained with tears as I sobbed pathetically on the floor, wishing that there was someone who could save me from this torture.  Without warning, I felt a cold hand touch my shoulder delicately, opening my eyes and noticing that the entire room had become bland, all the color sucked or of it just like the happiness in my life, a troubled and worried breath escaping my mouth.