It's All or Nothing

WARNING: mentions of rape, abuse, and prostitution

Ford POV

We wanted to ask questions but stopped ourselves from doing so, allowing the silence to slowly consume our thoughts like acid eating away at skin, trusting that Y/N would eventually tell us what was wrong and why she was hurt, but for some reason, a part of me didn't want to know what was going on.  Part of me just wanted to be ignorant and unknowing.  I knew that whatever had happened to her was bad, but what I didn't know was the extent of the monstrous things that made her seem so vulnerable and weak, the things that forced her to grow up faster than the rest of us.  I watched her as she stared out into empty space, her eyes buzzing with unlimited thoughts that were sadly inevitable to her trauma filled mind, her foot anxiously tapping the floor like she was nervous that something was going to happen.  Every time a car passed by our building, she would flinch before easing up again, the hums of the sign to our shop making the room a little less tense.

She sighed, closing her eyes for a couple of seconds before beginning to violently sob, her chin twitching frantically as she broke before us, the face that used to light up a room when she walked in drowning in a lake of sorrow and torture, unable to escape the confines of her thoughts like she wished to do.  All we could do to ease the pain was to hold her in our arms and give her the love that she deserved but probably didn't have.  Watching her cry brought tears to our eyes, and soon we joined in on the sadness, holding each other tighter like we were all we had left, never wanting to let go of each other so we weren't abandoned like many times before.

"Please, please don't cry guys," she whispered, shattering the invisible silence.  "I don't want to be the reason you are sad, so please don't cry."

She began sobbing harder, my heart getting smashed with a sledgehammer and breaking me in two, internally fighting a war against myself as I attempted to stop the waterworks.  Stan sniffled and cleared his throat, a question burning deeply in his eyes, but he knew that he had to keep it in.  We needed to wait to ask questions until she was ready to talk, and we were willing to wait as long as it took.

I began playing with her hair unintentionally, needing to do something to get her more calm, her tears beginning to dwindle slowly as time passed.  After a while, there were no tears left to indicate she was sad, only the trails that they left as a reminder that they once exist, but were now no more.  She sighed, playing with her hands nervously before speaking, her words during through the still air that surrounded us.

"My life is not as good as it may seem," she said, biting her lip to keep herself together, forcing out the words like they were poison.  " My mother was a prostitute, and the reason we moved here was so that she could get away from all of that because she promised me that she would change herself and be a better person, but instead she broke it and went back to doing what she knew.  The reason I'm here tonight is because her customer tried to get into my room to do... things, but I couldn't let it happen again. "

We sat beside her dumbfounded, unable to find the words to express our deepest apologies for the events of her past life. But then again, it's not like anything would've changed if we did. They're just words, and what she experienced were actions. Actions that would haunt her forever.

"A... again?" Stan asked, his eyes filled with tears waiting to be spilled.

I was never able to figure out why he asked. Maybe he was clarifying. Maybe he just wanted to know the severity of her pain. Honestly, I think he was hoping he misheard, that she had only fallen victim to such monsters a single time. Not that that's better. It's still fucking traumatizing whether it's one or ten or a hundred times.

But I get it. I really do. I understand. I understand having the hope that maybe it was only one time, that there weren't multiple sick bastards forcing a child to attend to their selfish animalistic needs. That her mother didn't just let multiple men take advantage of her daughter for something as materialistic as money.