Chapter 2: Scuttle Town Scamper to the Mermaid Palace

Few locals caught sight or sound of the incident, and at scene they called for the nearest coast guard or medical services. Eventually a medic arrived with a stretcher and was assisted by the town's half-genie Shantae in getting the blue guy to a place where he could be taken care of.

   "...Tech mu hum," Sonic mumbled, "...Sun yaw on drum..." turning his head left and right, possibly seeing light from under his eyes in his daze of drowsiness. "Oh, just hang in there, spiny guy," Shantae sighed worriedly, "we're almost there. Just stay calm!" Her tone was hopeful, and thankfully soothed him. And soon enough they were in town at the medical center where he was set on a raised bed, given an ice pack for his head and was accompanied by the heroine while the staff kept his vital signs in check.

   "Oh my," sighed Sonic, now waking, "Where did I end up now..?" Shantae was relieved at the sound of him finally speaking and knowing she wasn't too late to save him. "Good morning, blue stranger," Shantae said, "you ended up landing here in Scuttle Town. Currently you're in the town medical center, being treated for your head injury." "Huh..?" Sonic said, looking around and taking in what had happened, where he was lying and the nurse treating him.

   "Who are you?" Sonic asked. "I'm Shantae," she answered, "the town's genie – er, half-genie and one of the people who-" "Oh great, genies again." Sonic interrupted with a roll of his eyes. "Look, if you meet some djinn around here looking for a guy named Sonic; forget we ever interacted, alright?" Shantae was confused. "Umm... I don't know who that is." She admitted. "Wow, really?" Sonic remarked. "Well then, I guess I'm a little safe."

   "Who are you?" Shantae asked. "I'm Sonic. Sonic the Hedgehog." He answered. "Has the patient told you anything he needs at the moment, half-genie?" the nurse asked Shantae. "Well, I could use a little something to pep me up." Sonic said, "Know somewhere I could get some caffeine in me?" Shantae thought. "Yeah, I know a shop. Is that okay now that he's well?" she asked, now turned to the nurse.

   The nurse checked in with the staff and front desk, and eventually they allowed Sonic to be discharged from the room. Following right after the two's departure from the medical center was a trip to the local café for refreshment and conversation on the matter of Sonic's abrupt appearance. "So," Said Sonic, "if you're a half-genie, but you're the town genie, does that mean you can only work half-time?" "Yep..." Shantae replied, "It's a tough gig, my dude." The two were now walking into the café to order.

   "Hello, customer...and Shantae," Greeted Bolo at the counter, "What'll you two be ordering today?" Sonic let Shantae order first while he read the menu. "I'll have my usual, just to keep from taking awhile." Shantae ordered. "Okay then. And you there?" Bolo asked, addressing Sonic. "Yeah, I'll have me a small, medium house blend with cane sugar and vanilla almond milk, two spoonfuls each." Sonic ordered. "Advanced taste" Bolo muttered under his breath while writing the order. Shantae paid for their order and took a receipt with their number to a table beside a window.

   "Hey," Sonic asked, "so about that guy, is he normally a fox or am I just seeing things?" "Oh, you mean Bolo?" Shantae said. "No. He's human." Sonic nodded unhappily. "Man, either I hit my head a bit too hard or something to do with my missing emerald is causing this."

   "Missing emerald..?" Shantae asked, slightly tilting her head. "Yeah, that's right." Sonic said aggressively, "The reason I ended up here is because I was chasing the crook that took my emerald in the Special Zone, and the portal taking them out of there led me here!" "Hmm..." Shantae thought. They then heard the call for their order number and went to get it.

   Shantae took a sip of tea when back at the table. "So that's how you ended up here?" She asked, "But what was that about seeing things?" "Oh, how the cashier looks?" Sonic asked, "Just hear me out; that stuff is normal whenever I end up somewhere I didn't come from." Oddly enough this statement was true. In the past when Sonic found himself inserted within worlds he believed to be fantasy, he found he was mentally affected in a way that the first person he befriends leaves an impression within his mind that makes him view the folk familiar to his new ally in an appearance akin to that of friends from his own world.