Chapter 3: Bleed like a Unicorn, Bite like a Dragon

It was now the day after the retrieval of Sonic's emerald, and the two were at Uncle Mimic's place awaiting his presence so that Sonic could tell him the plan on how he wants to try to get back home. At this time, Shantae's uncle was showering. Sonic sat at a desk with random writings of contraptions and whatnot, and Shantae just loitered around nearby. Eventually Sonic grew bored and started stretch-flinging the tail of Shantae's hair at papers for entertainment.

   "Hey, cut it out!" Shantae said, now slightly annoyed after he flung her hair a fifth time. "I'm sorry!" Sonic giggled, "It's just so fun to watch hair behave like a rubber band!" Shantae pulled her hair away. Shantae's uncle then emerged. "OK, Shantae and company," he announced, "Now what exactly is it that you wish to discuss?" Sonic waved. "Yes, hello there... Uncle..?" Sonic greeted. He was rather surprised at the sight of the man. In his sight he looked just like his own uncle Chuck from back home!

   Sonic turned to Shantae. "Uh, hey," Sonic whispered, "this may sound kind of crazy, but...this guy looks just like my uncle, but tall." "No way," Shantae giggled, "really?" "Now, now," Uncle Mimic interjected, "less fooling around, more getting to business matters. What do you need to be made?" "Oh, right," Sonic said, "I've got this here emerald that emits energy. Can you craft a chamber that can hold this emerald and highlight the point where it's most concentrated at?"

   Shantae's uncle thought for a moment, squinting at the emerald to get an idea of its dimensions. "I'll see what I can do." He answered. He then searched and found a secure metal safe he could keep the gem inside of while he studied the properties of it, and furthermore how to create what Sonic needs made in order to find his way back home.

   While he was busy doing that, Shantae was chatting with Sonic about the practicalities of using the emerald to find his way back home. "Alright now Sonic," she asked the hedgehog, "so about the plan; how will this emerald get you home?" Sonic nodded. "Tails used to talk to me about how the emeralds are like magnets to each other." He told her, "Knowing that, if we can find a way to use this emerald like a compass, it just may lead to the Special Zone where the emeralds come from, and from there I can finally get back home!" Shantae nodded thoughtfully. "Hmm. Yeah that might actually work!" She realized.

   Shantae went to the nearby garbage can to tear off and discard the bandage that was covering her arm. "Your arm healed now?" Sonic asked. "Like magic." Shantae answered. Sonic gave a thumb's up. "So about that friend of yours, Tails," Shantae asked, "what's he like?" "Like how he looks?" Sonic asked. "He's a two-tailed fox, a little shorter than me." Shantae then transformed into just that, a fox with two tails, except in a palette similar to her own. "Like this?" Shantae asked in the new shape. Sonic looked at the new form with unease on his face. "No.., not like that," he said, "he's like me, with big eyes, two arms, wears gloves, and a pair of sneakers!"

   The next minutes that followed consisted of Shantae gradually tweaking the form to get closer and closer to the one Sonic was describing. "If only I had something that could let you see what I see." Sonic pondered. And then a thought struck him. "Wait just there Shantae, I need to get the emerald." He told her. And just like that Sonic dashed back to the work desk where the emerald was, got it out and brought it over in three seconds flat.

   "Gee, no wonder they call you the fastest thing alive, huh?" Shantae remarked, watching him get the emerald so quick. "OK Shantae," Sonic told her while holding the emerald, "rest your hand on the top of the emerald." Shantae put her palm on the jewel. "Now close your eyes." Sonic said. "If a fox-looking guy pops up in your head, try your best to transform into him. Got it?" Shantae nodded. Sonic thought about Tails, and his size in reference to the ring he wore on his wrist to keep in contact with Sonic. And in just about a minute or so a bright flash burst from between the two of them and the emerald, and it finally happened.