Chapter 6: Compass Mending and Side Questing

Back with Shantae, she was just now waking up. "Dragging around a hedgehog can put such a crick in the neck!" She yawned, stretching in her hammock, and then climbed down to brush up and change out of her PJs. Afterwards, she went to boil some water for tea and put a bagel in a toaster to cook. As for Sonic, he was still lying in the beanbag asleep.

   Shantae took notice of this when he crossed her line of sight. "Oh, he's still asleep..?" She thought, now standing by to try waking him. "Sonic? You up yet, bud?" Shantae asked, "Yoohoo, Sonic! We've got places to be! " She shouted. "Sonic! Hey! Listen!" She yelled. These efforts proved to be fruitless, and so Shantae took to trying to wake him with loud noises.

   She tried hitting an iron pot with a ladle. "Yeah... I'll have some..." Sonic murmured, still asleep. Shantae nodded disappointedly, seeing that being of little effect. Next she tried dropping a huge book onto the floor next to him. "I hate this zone..." He mumbled. Shantae stomped her foot on the floor in frustration and looked down, nodding.

   It was then that she noticed where Sonic kept his rings in: his shoes, lying on the floor. This gave her an idea. She then took one of the shoes, raised it up to Sonic's ear and shook it. "Money?!" Sonic gasped with eyes wide open, for upon first shake of the shoe her blue friend was now awake and aware as an early bird.

   "No silly, breakfast..." She told him softly, smiling with a chuckle under her breath, "Ya hungry at all? I'm toasting a bagel if you want something to eat before we go see my uncle again." Sonic shrugged his shoulders. "Eh, close enough to a ring. Sure." He answered. And so she went to make her tea and Sonic put on his shoes.

   Sonic was now at the table spreading marmalade on his bagel. "You think your uncle will be able to make something that can track down the compass?" Sonic asked. "Not sure," Shantae answered slowly in thought, "maybe he can just make another one, if he has the stuff to." Sonic nodded, eating the bagel. "But why do that when I don't have my Chaos Emerald anymore?" He asked. Shantae took a sip of tea. "Because I know you'll have it again once we catch up to Risky Boots!" She told him confidently. Sonic gave a nod in agreement. "I like your attitude, Shantae. Never stop being you!" he said, finishing the bagel.

   "All set to go out now, right?" Sonic asked, now standing at the door. "Ret-2-go!" Shantae exclaimed, finished with her tea and now coming to the door. She then went out with Sonic following behind, and led the way to town to run various errands in need of doing, starting off with getting a new pair of cuffs from a local blacksmith shop.

   After a quick browse of the armor aisle for some in her size, Shantae brought some to checkout. "That'll be 570 gems." The cashier told her. Shantae nodded, and pulled out the due money when Sonic stopped her. "Hold on a sec," he interjected, "didn't you say something about using these to bash through walls or whatever, back on that island?" Shantae looked at him curiously. "Yeah... What about that?" She asked him. "Get some made of brass." Sonic suggested. Shantae put her purchase on pause and followed Sonic to a pair he saw.

   He showed her to ones back in the armor aisle closer to where various metals were being mended into tools and armor pieces of many types. "So why buy these instead?" Shantae asked. "A couple reasons;" Sonic told her, "not only do they still look same as your old ones, but they hold up longer than a gold pair!" Shantae pondered this choice for a moment.

   "I'll go ring it up, I guess." She told him. Shantae then took a pair her size to the counter to see the price. "That'll be 740." The cashier told her. Sonic was rather surprised at the price, while Shantae was rather flustered. "Wait, that's how much they are?" Sonic asked, in surprise at the price. "Well, yeah," Shantae said, pulling out her money, "sure hope I'm not dead broke after this."