Chapter 4: Amber Alert

As for Shantae, she was now readying for her trip back home after the job well done. "Don't imagine Sky's awake," she thought, "better try flying somewhere near the coast to swim back." And it was then she noticed the lilies in the oasis sunk under the water. "Huh?" She thought, "Weren't there reeds or something in that pond?" And just then in that split-second, a pair of Tinkerbats with net cannons jumped out, fired at and trapped Shantae, followed shortly after by the emergence of their Queen, Risky Boots.

   Risky chuckled proudly. "Gotcha, fool! And now you're going to return my rightfully claimed treasure!" Shantae growled as she struggled beneath the nets shot upon her. "Don't waste your time on me! The guy you're looking for is gone!" She yelled. Risky nodded disagreeably. "Not when we have you is he. Crew! Haul this prisoner to the hideout! We've us a lead to the whereabouts of my powerful gem, and it starts with this one." She ordered.

   Risky Boots was now pointing the tip of her scimitar sideways against Shantae's cheek. One pair of Tinkerbats stole the now out of reach compass and lamp, and another pair came out from the woods to pick up and carry the half-genie to their hidden outpost deep in the jungle. "You can do this without me," Shantae bargained, "if you really were watching us that whole time, you could just do what he did and chase him like that!"

   "Oh, yadda yadda," Risky mocked, "and waste pounds of my own gold for the round trip? I'm a crime lord, not a jackass!" and through the dense tropics the Queen and her subjects hacked and slashed obstructing branches and leaves using their blades until the light of the oil lamp carried by the Queen up front revealed their destination.

   "A'ight mateys," Risky called, "to the slums with the accomplice of the blue fiend, the lamp and metal box come with me. Have the guards be aware I'll be using her after I'm done with this fancy crate they were luggin' around."

   And so the following hunting party members carrying the half-genie prisoner brought her to a hall of dungeon cells which reeked of odor of which one could only describe as death in fumes. After opening the creaky metal gate at the end of the hall, they swung the net back and forth until enough momentum was built up for her hit against the cold stone wall of the dark, cramped room, and the large guard beside locked it immediately following.

   Shantae now didn't even bother struggling to escape the net. But rather she just remained still, and hoped that whenever Risky did whatever to her, that it wouldn't result in dragging Sonic back into the mix. All she wanted was to get justice for those who've been wronged, like the hero in her had always done.

And in that same moment Risky was already headed up the stairs of the base with lamp and compass in tow, anticipating the teardown of the box to understand what use it is to her. "Hey TB," She called up the stairs, "I've got it! Come and help haul this thing!" Shortly after, footsteps could be heard coming down the staircase, whose of which were soon to be revealed to be that of Techno Baron, whom of which was offered a large pay of illicit goods in exchange for the operation.

   "Wow! Now this looks like some piece of work!" he said, now carrying the compass up the stairs with Risky. Many steps up the stairs later, and the compass had now reached the room's central desk for inspection. "All right," TB said with a clap of his hands, "time to figure out what the deal is with this thing."

   He then pulled a toolbox up and onto the desk beside the compass and searched for the appropriate item for taking the thing apart. "First things first..." He said just before sniffing curiously, "Why does it smell like fried egg?" He looked to Risky with a raised eyebrow. Risky shrugged her shoulders. "I just found the thing half an hour ago. I don't know where it's been before then."

   The Baron while searching soon found the screws were of a hexagonal shape, and looked to his toolbox to find an appropriate driver head. When he did, he took to unscrewing the top side of the device to get a top-down view of what tech the cubicle compass held inside.