Kabanata 26

#ThePerfectTandemWP | 26

"Ma'am, someone wants to talk to you." a staff informed me.

"Who is it?"

"The daughter of Mr. Herrera from Ardous Holdings."

I held my breath. What is she here for?

Pinaakyat ko ito. Does she want to Thanatos? Makikiusap kaya ito? Whatever it is, I don't feel good.

Naaninag kong pumasok ito. She was wearing a pastel pink top, pencil skirt, and gold pumps. She had clips on her hair and a designer bag on her hand. She looked like a mixture of Jennie of Blackpink and Blair Waldorf of Gossip Girl. Very young ang aura pero intimidating.

"Hello, this is Claire Herrera." malamig ang boses nito. Taliwas sa get up niyang mukhang sweet, her voice is like an ice.

"And this is Aleera Ambrosia, wife and secretary of the CEO." I didn't stand up to greet her. I continued signing papers in front of me. "If you're here for the CEO, he's not available. You have to make an appointment." suway ko na tila binubugaw siya paalis.

"I'm not here for him; I'm here for you."

Tumaas ang kilay ko.

"I'll give you five minutes to talk."

She looked like she wanted to slap me but kept her cool.

"At first, I didn't care because I have a boyfriend.

Now, my father will make sure to sue you and get us married if he really wants the island. Hindi niyo mapapasakamay ito."

We looked into the both of you, Aleera. Oo't married kayo sa lahat ng papeles niyo ngunit walang nakakaalam na kasal kayo. Bakit kaya?" I could almost hear her smirk.

"This is headline-worthy, don't you think?"

"Sure, and we'll have to sue you for slander. Sa tingin niyo talaga kaya nyo pang umahon?"

"Sobra-sobra ba ang pagka-gahaman niyo at gusto niyo kaming pabagsakin?!" she snapped.

"Your father doesn't play fair. He made us do this." matigas kong sagot.

"Tandaan mo 'to, wala kayong makukuha sa'min!" Umuusok ang ilong niya sa galit.

"Your five minutes is up."

Wala itong nagawa kundi umalis.

~•~

I'm on my way to the head of advertising when I saw the investors of the company. I greeted them. Mariela, an ex-fling of Thanatos and now an investor, flinched when she saw me.

Pake ko sa kaniya.

Mr. Bowe commended my work so we chatted a bit. After a while, he excused himself because he saw his pañero. Inayos ko lang saglit ang bag ko at naramdaman kong may lumapit sa'kin.

"Hello, Ms. Too-Goody-Shoes." bati ni Mariela.

"What do you want?" walang gana kong tanong.

"Know what, Thanatos is better off without you. Masyado kang know-it-all at oportunista."

I gaped. Ang kapal naman ng apog nito?

"At least I wasn't used and thrown away like nothing." Oo, below the belt pero siya rin naman!

"oh. didn't you get married so that Herreras could get off your back?"

Nabigla ako. how did she know?

I kept my face straight.

I scoffed. "I know him better than anyone."

She smiled innocently. Oh, how curseful! "That's the point. Masyado niyong kilala ang isa't-isa. You're so used to each other. There's no thrill. Isn't that boring?"

May kumurot sa loob ko. That was true. Kahit di ko gusto ay nasaktan ako sa sinabi niya. We agreed that this would end. Even without that stated agreement, I knew he would leave me because I'm just not... his type.

Sapat ba na compatible kami sa trabaho? Sa kama? Sapat ba na kilala ko siya? Na kabisado ko lahat sa kaniya? Na magkaka-anak kami?

My glare didn't falter. I was mad. At her. At Thanatos. At our situation.

"Of course, it's only natural that he would want someone who can keep the fire, Ms. Natividad. You are only convenient to him now. He'll be done with you soon."

That hurt.

I was only chosen for his convenience.

I was the lesser hassle.

I was the collateral damage.

Something inside me burned. Kahit totoo iyon, hindi ako magpapatalo sa babaeng ito.

She even had the audacity to look at me from head to toe. "Wag kang feeling dahil asawa ka niya ngayon. You're not on his level. He'll discard you once you're not helpful to him anymore."

"And you'll be?" I spitefully said.

"Of course I'll be." she stepped one foot forward with her head high. "Heiress ka ba?"

She thinks she's such a bitch. I don't even feel an ounce of fear.

I smiled. "Well, inasawa ka ba? Di 'ba hindi? Kinama ka lang." maanghang kong saad.

She turned into a tomato and slapped me hard. I can feel my cheek stinging. Shit. Buti hindi niya ako tinulak. Malakas ang naging paghinga ko.

"Your audacity!" nanggigil siya. "You'll see. You'll regret this!"

"Go ahead. Grabe, natatakot ako." I crossed my arms. Stop provoking her, Aleera! Buntis ka!

She breathed in like she can't take it anymore and turned her heels. Padabog niyang sinara ang pinto.

A head popped out on the door afterwards. "Gurl, anong nangyari? Ba't nakasara?"

"She threatened and slapped me."

"Hah?! Asan na? Kakalbuhin ko!"

"Don't bother, Shan."

~•~

It was morning. As usual, parehong wala kaming damit. Thanatos was making circles on my back.

Gusto ko nang tumayo para maghanda but he kept me locked in his arms. Di naman ako makaalis, parang bakal ang braso niya.

"Am I... boring?"

Bwisit na Mariela na yan! Binabagabag ako ng mga salita niya.

"What?"

"Ano.. am I boring? Para sa'yo? Like, sa sex?"

"Boring?" he started kissing my jaw.

"Kase, seryoso nga eh." I tried to stop him.

"You're the best sex I've ever had." he said in a husky voice, as he continued kissing my neck. "Kahit wala ka gaaanong ginagawa." he even chuckled.

I only pouted.

---x---

author's tots: sana ol T^T