𝙈𝙞𝙙𝙨𝙪𝙢𝙢𝙚𝙧𝙨

Malia stood in front of her bathroom mirror while Genevieve stood behind her, lightly curling her long brown locks. Her mind still on the reckless blond, worried if he’d even be able to make it tonight.

She fiddled with the silver band JJ had given her before he was taken away by Officer Shoupe. It was the only thing giving her hope that he would return. 

What she was really nervous about- was how he’d pay bail. There was no way JJ would ever allow Malia to pitch in. Especially if his restitution was set around 30 grand like Shoupe said. He already hated it when she chipped in for him when all the pogues went out for lunch.

“He’s gonna be alright,” Genevie spoke up, trying to ease the tension that the small girl created around herself, “JJ’s a strong kid,”

“I’m just worried, he said he’d call or text if he’s gotten out, but he hasn’t” Malia mumbled as she checked her phone for the twelfth time, “What about his dad?”

“What about him?”

“Well, I’ve never met him, but JJ always says that his dad's a little... rough around the edges. How would he react to JJ being arrested?”

Fed up with Malia’s whining, Genevieve spun her sister around, brushing a piece of loose hair from her face as she gripped her shoulders, “Malia, believe me, JJ is going to be perfectly fine. If I know anything about that kid, it's that he is one of the toughest guys on this island, emotionally and physically. He will be okay,”

“But what if-”

“No, no more “what if’s”, for all we know he’s probably thinking about you too,” the oldest argued as she set down the curling wand, “You need to clear your mind before tonight. Tonight we represent our parents, okay?”

Malia nodded. Genevieve was right, tonight the two Beifong girls represented both Kumiko and Ian and all their success, as did most of the kook children when it came to their parents.

The whole event was stupid, to say the least. Kumiko always managed to turn it into some silly competition between her and the other kook mothers. Always betting on which kid would screw up first. It was utter bullshit, but was Malia going to complain? No.

“Are you girl’s even getting ready?” The Royal Highness herself interrupted from the doorway. Her slim, silk black dress was already on and hugging her waist, “Malia, honey, where's your dress?”

“I was wondering if I could wear something else? Don't get me wrong! It's absolutely beautiful- it's just that- don't you think that maybe- it's a little much?” she referred to the giant, fancy, yellow ball gown her mother had helped design.

“Don't be silly, you’ll look amazing,” she dismissed the younger girl, practically ignoring her, “Genevieve, sweetheart, what will you be wearing?”

Genevieve gave her sister an apologetic smile before answering her mother, “The pink dress Martha made, it matches my hairpiece” she held up the beautifully assorted flower crown that Martha had also made out of fresh, pink azaleas.

Martha Benton was Kumiko's personal seamstress. She had made the girl's hundreds of dresses and accessories before. She was the one who made Malia’s giant yellow ball gown for the event.

“Wonderful! Now both of you hurry along, the Shrotters will be stopping by shortly,” The woman commanded, “Nolan has agreed to wear a yellow tie to match your dress” she looked at Malia, expecting her to swoon over the boy.

Instead, the girl just smiled and nodded as she walked out of the bathroom. Nolan Shrotter had to be the furthest thing from her mind. She was dreading the moment he’d ask if she was ready to show her face at the party, but God forbid she say anything negative.

She stepped into her room and retrieved the large dress from her closet. It was zipped up into a garment bag that hung from one of her tall shelves. 

“I’m going to look like a giant yellow skittle,” she spoke to herself, groaning.

Instead of actually getting dressed like she was supposed to, Malia searched up JJ’s number and began calling him.

Hey, it's JJ and- Yo Li, can I have one too?” she laughed when his automatic message came through. She was in the middle of making a sandwich for John B and had smiled when the blond got distracted, asking for her to make him one as well in the middle of his recording.

Shit, uh- leave a message or whatever,” the beep rang, allowing her to leave a voicemail.

“Hey Jay, it's me, again,” Malia cringed at the fourth voicemail she was now leaving him, “If you get this please call me back, or text- just let me know you're okay,” she nodded to herself, ending the call, only to be frightened by her mother.

“Malia! Enough with the cellphone,” Kumiko demanded as she quickly snatched the device from her daughter's fingers.

“Mom! I just-”

“No. If you're not dressed by the time the Shrotters get here you can say goodbye to your friends for good, do you understand?”

Without hearing Malia’s apology, Kumiko stormed out of the room, slamming the birch door on the way out.

Malia let out a frustrated groan, throwing her flower crown onto the soft bed. She just prayed her friends were fending better than she was.

Word Count: 900

「 ₊˚.༄ 」
hey guys! I just wanted to apologize for this chapter being so freaking short. Most of the Midsummer's event was like... in JJ's perspective, cause we saw him the most in those scenes.
I guess this was just a little filler chapter, like how Malia's coping or something like that. The next chapter is going to also be more on the JJ side of things, if that even makes sense? Lol.
Also, I'm so sorry for missing my last update, my dog had passed away a week ago after giving birth, so now I playing mom to a baby chihuahua, and on top of that, I got a shitton of school assignments I need to get in.
Thank you guys so much for being so patient with me, I really appreciate it!
I hope you enjoyed this little filler!
Please vote and comment!
Thank you, my loves! ღ