18

paige handed the blood to the resident and looked at ben. "today is still going to be a good day." she whispered. "please god let today still be a good day."

paige ran into the operating room. "shepherd, how is he?"

amelia sighed. "not good. he's got some pretty bad head trauma that we're trying to fix but he keeps coding. he's got fluid in his abdomen and we need to get grey in here to fix that as soon as i'm done, if he doesn't die while i'm working."

"hey, meyers." richard said when paige walked out of the OR.

"hey richard."

"i know everything's been crazy here, so when do you want to take your test? i can have you do it sunday since your not working, or the twelve after shift."

"no. i want to take it right now."

"you sure?"

"yes. i need to get my mind of this, and i need one good thing to come out of today."

"okay, if your ready. come to my office."

paige smiled. she was more than ready.

a few hours later, paige handed her test into richard and ran to the OR floor.

"where's ben?" she shouted.

"he's upstairs in the ICU, he's gonna be fine." a nurse told her.

paige sighed in relief. both of them are fine.

at lunch, paige walked over to jackson and alex sitting at a circular table in the loud cafeteria.

"all i'm saying is there's no way she's gonna let you do anything." alex complained.

"just stay out of it, man, okay?" jackson blatantly yelled.

"what are you fighting about?" paige asked, sitting down.

"alex keeps trying to convince me to start working on the wedding behind april's back."

"because if you don't," alex interrupted, "she will do everything and you will have no say in it!"

"and that's a bad thing, why?" jackson questioned.

"sometimes i'm pretty sure there's something wrong with your entire gender." paige said sassily.

jackson gave her a weird look and then shot his eyebrows up. "hey, are you going to amelia and link's new year's eve party?" he asked, directed at paige.

"i don't know."

"c'mon meyers, everyone's going."

"i'll think about it."

"okay but it's next week so be a quick thinker."

"like i said," paige chuckled. "something wrong with your entire gender!!"

a week later, paige walked into work with a smile on her face. today was dr. baileys first day back at work, and today was paiges first solo surgery.

"hey dr. bailey, welcome back!" paige smiled, greeting miranda at the door.

"hello dr. meyers. thank you." bailey said, talking professionally and dramatically wiping off her jacket, as if she's in some stupid business movie.

"um okay?" paige mumbles under her breathe and walked away. alex stopped her in her tracks and looked at her. "you seem in a good mood. what's up?"

"well today is my first solo surgery, and i find out if i passed my boards or not."

"oh," alex laughed. "two things that could very well go horribly wrong very fast." he smirked. paige playfully slapped his chest.

"oh screw you, karev!" paige said, chuckling and walking away.

"that's jo's job!" he called after her.

paige walked out of her surgery and right up to arizona robbins. "i did it!" paige shouted. "i did a solo surgery and there were no complications and i saved a little boys life." she smiled wide and pointed her two thumbs at herself. "i did that!" she yelled. arizona smiled back at her.

"yes you did!" she said. "and i'm very proud of you!" the two hugged and spilt ways, robbins had surgery and meyers got paged to webber's office. this might be it. this could be her test results. she felt her stomach drop more the closer she got to richard's door. by the time she got there, her stomach felt numb. she had butterflies storming her gut. she could feel her heart beat in her hands and she grabbed onto the door handle. she stood outside the door for a second. this was the determining factor. if she becomes a doctor or not depends on this very moment. this is it. this is the moment. this is live or die. this is the moment she's been preparing for the whole time. this will determine her entire future. she walked in and looked at doctor webber.

this is win or loose.

to be continued...