32

amelia stepped into the icu room, bailey close behind her. "you ready?" bailey whispered to amelia. amelia nodded her head and walked towards the bed.

"did i miss it?" alex yelled, bursting into the room.

"alex, shut up." amelia warned. alex nodded and sat down in the seat beside her. amelia took out one of her iv's and replaced it with another. "we're gonna slowly lighten her sedation to make it as painless as possible. once she's done being sedated we're gonna give her some melatonin and let her body sleep off all the drugs, and she should be awake in a few hours."

"this doesn't mean she'll be back to work. we have lots of tests we have to do. she might not come back the same way she used to be, you understand that, right karev?" bailey added.
alex nodded, sadly. alex and bailey watched as amelia started to process of waking her up.

a few hours later, the room was filled. the staff spent all their free time in paiges room, watching. paiges head shook slowly. she spent a good couple minutes opening her eyes and closing them. "paige?" amelia asked. "can you hear me?"

paige squinted her eyes and nodded her head.

"can you talk?"

"hello."

"can you open your eyes?"

paige slowly opened her eyes, closing them tightly again. "it's too bright turn off the light."

meredith walked over, pulling down the curtains and alex turned down the lights. paige opened her eyes, adjusting to the world around her. "much better." she whispered.

"hah." alex chuckled. "she's already back to bossing people around."

the team giggled, paige started to but it turned into a coughing fit.

"woah, there there. take it easy." amelia said.

paige took a deep breathe.

"we need to ask you a few questions." amelia started. paige interrupted her. "let me help you. my name is paige elizabeth meyers, i'm eighteen years old. my birthday is january eleventh, two-thousand and one. my mother was marian alice meyers she died when i was in high school. i graduated at sixteen with seven academic awards, i was top of the first class of grey-sloan memorial hospitals surgeon in training program. i am now a pediactric fellow. i work under arizona robbins and side-by-side with alex karev. i live at 303 comstock street, seattle, washington. i live with meredith grey, her boyfriend andrew deluca, her three kids, zola, bailey, and ellis. i live with maggie pierce and whichever guy stays there that weekend cause she can't keep a dude. i was driving here when a chubby old guy in a red truck came and crashed into me. i'm at grey-sloan memorial hospital in the icu being treated by amelia shepherd and miranda bailey which gives me the sense that my injuries are inter-cranial or organ-related." paige took a deep breathe, then looked at amelia. "was that good?"

"you clearly don't need help." jackson laughed. a few of the doctors cleared out. amelia prepped her to run some more tests. the team decided to tell her the news after they run the labs so they know exactly what to tell her.

"hey, arizona." paige whispered, sticking out her hand. arizona came over and grabbed it leaving down towards the sick girl. "about what you asked me, i can't take the job. alex has wanted it for a long time. and we don't know if or when i'll return to work after this and we need a neonatal surgeon. you go, alex can be head of peds i think he'll be alright."

"are you sure?" arizona asked.

"yes. give the job to alex, he deserves it."