Dinner for demons

Welcome to le 3rd story!! (Yes, the image above me is art from the game Gris. Go play it, it's good.) I hope you like this one!!

  The tunnel was long and dark. The water on the ground brushed against Milli's ankles as she waded through,gritting her teeth as she felt water that was definitely filthy lap her boots. She would take at least 5 baths when she got back home. She would bathe her feet in only the purest water. Sink them in soap suds.

She could hear the pop-pop-popping of guns in the distance, the screams of fear and anger from her classmates in the distance as they struggled to defeat all 12 demons to complete their test. Milli hung her head and rubbed her eyes, then balked at the fact that she had touched her face with her dirty hands.

Her mother would definitely yell at her when she got home. If she made it home. If she didn't get her body ripped to shreds by some stupid demon.

She laid her back against the wall of the tunnel and adjusted her grip on her bayonet, her gloves slick with demon blood. She was going to have to wash those too..

It was a bit funny. Hysterical, even. She was thinking about cleaning herself, while she was plunging head first into a literal war zone. Well, not really a warzone.

She took a deep breath, finger combed her hair into a messy bun, then finished the last of the trek out of the tunnel, loading her bayonet. She reached her left hand into the blue pocket on her skirt and pocketed her customary smoke bomb and case of sheathed knives, bathed in poison.

Milli opened up a pack of greenish power and dropped some into the palm of her gloved hands. She rubbed her fingers into it, then snapped. The powder exploded into a thin streak of green flame in her palm. She pulled her hood over her head, reloaded her gun, then snuck outside.

The ground was rough and rocky. Her boots fumbled for purchase as she climbed over the rock clusters and over small little pits made as traps for the demons.

Milli looked over her shoulder, scanning the tunnel behind her. Nothing was coming crawling out of it. Good enough to set up a base camp.

Now, for the million dollar question: should she leave in search of a few demons, or stay at the tunnel's mouth and hope some weak demons decided to amble by so she could score at least 5 points?

Roughly 80 percent of Milli's brain was screaming at her to stay put. Crack open some food, stay there for the night, set up a watch. It didn't matter if she failed the Tests. As long as she was safe and relatively unscathed.

The other 20 percent was probably the crazy part of herself. She wanted to journey off. She didn't want to fail the Tests. Becoming a Ward was probably one of the most important jobs in Esperias. She told her family, her friends, that she could do this. She didn't want to fail and get stuck in the family dye business. Sure it made good money, but she wasn't fond of it.

The 20 percent had some very persuasive arguments; the thing is, not getting her blood sucked out by a demon was also a very good argument. Even better than the following your dreams arguments.

She opened her knapsack, taking out her can of food. It was just enough to get her through the night, and possibly half the next morning, if she rationed it correctly. All she had to do was make it through the night. The next morning, she could proclaim defeat and get back to the school. She probably had enough points to become a weapons master for the Wards. Far enough from the actual fighting, yet still held enough honor. And the paycheck was just as good.

Suddenly, Milli heard a thumping noise coming from behind her. She twirled around, firing her gun at the tunnel. It didn't hit anything. A figure lurched out at her, it's hideous claws unfurled, aiming for her throat. She jumped backward and swung the fist that still held the green flame out at the demon's face, watching as the flame leapt from her glove to the demon's face.

The demon threw its arms up in front of their face, catching the green flames in its arms. The flames lapped up the demon as it unleashed a curdling screech. Milli's ears began to burn from the shriek as she fell to her knees. Some blood leaked out from her ears as she shakily aimed her gun at the demon, and shot.

The shot hit the demon in the forehead. It fell down and hit the ground with an audible clomp, it's flesh dissipating into black fragments. Milli sighed. Thank the Gods that it had been a lower tier demon....

Of course, that was before a chattering sound erupted at the tunnel's mouth. What the hell? She thought as she whipped her head up and grasped for her gun. She scrambled up, grabbing at the wall for balance. She groaned as she got up, only to fall back down to the ground. Her head was burning.

A horde of demons descended down the tunnel, snarling at her. The lead demon turned and gestured to the ones in the back. They fanned out around her, chattering incessantly to one another. One of them pointed to her with its claws and hissed.

" Not now, Mailichi. You can eat her remains after the Bebulasta." A demon- the leader, she presumed- told the one who had pointed to her, waving his hand at him. Milli gawped. Why was a high tier demon leading a pack of low tier demons?

Low tier demons had simplistic powers that all demons possessed: strength, speed, enhanced senses and agility. They could only communicate in a series of grunting noises and animalistic noises. High tier demons had the enhanced version of these abilities, as well as the ability to speak in human languages and the ability to cast a 'talent', a magical power. It was the ultimate warping of the laws of nature; they needed to be put down at all costs.

Milli blinked up at it, before shrieking at an ungodly volume that would make any creature scream in pain. The demon threw her down in shock and Milli ran for it, pushing past the horde before they regained their sense of composure and chased after her. She screamed as a claw caught her collar, jerking her backwards as a talon stabbed her back. Her breath rushed out as she felt exhaustion creep up on her, the warm catharsis of sleep overtaking her as her eyes slowly closed...

Anddd this is where it ends! Gib me some tips, votes, comments, and have a nice day!!              ღවꇳවღ