Some Random Essay On Cleopatra

No one asked for this- and as far as I know, no one wanted it. But still, here's an essay I wrote on Cleopatra. 

Cleopatra-her name is known far and wide as being one of Egypt's most powerful pharaohs. The modern world has taken an interest in her, with numerous movies, books, and even songs revolving around her. But, oddly enough, for someone so touted in our world as being one of Egypt's pharaohs, we know virtually nothing about her. Myths have sprouted around this mysterious woman, trying to fill in the gaps. Who was she really?

Cleopatra was born in Egypt in either 70 or 69 B.C.. She was born into a line of Ptolemaic royalty, and was a descendant of Ptolemy I Soter, one of Alexander the Great's loyal commanders. Her family assumed the role of Pharaoh after Alexander's conquering of Egypt, and subsequent death. During this time, Egypt served as a puppet state for Rome- they could function as their own country, but Rome was able to use Egyptian resources for their own gain.

It is not known who Cleopatra's mother was, but it is widely believed to be Cleopatra V Tryphaena, the king's wife and half sister. She had two siblings, her brother Auletes and her Ptolemy XIII, both of whom would become her husbands. She also had two sisters, Arsinoe IV and Berenice IV. She first served as King-regent to her father, and upon the passing of her brother and then husband Auletes, served as King Regent to her younger brother, Ptolemy XIII. She was fairly successful during this time, managing to get rid of her father's, the egyptian king Ptolemy XII Auletes, debts from Rome- and he had quite a lot of debts. She also managed to open the royal granaries to the public during a particularly nasty drought, saving the peasant populace from starving to death.

Of course, every ruler has to face their fair share of opposition, and Cleopatra was no different. When she became regent to her brother, Ptomeley, her brother's advisers began to manipulate him, turning him against Cleopatra. He had her banished, to where she fled to Serbia.

During her time in Serbia, Cleopatra, understandably, stewed in her anger over her banishment. How dare her brother, the very man she was helping, and her husband, banish her? She resolved that she would take back her throne- and nothing would stop her. She raised an army of mercenaries to take back Egypt, and in 50 BC, fought her brother's army in Pelusium.

During Cleopatra's banishment, the Roman General Pompey came to Egypt and spent a few months with Ptomeley. After Ptomeley allowed Pompey to be murdered, Pompey's rival, Julius Caesar, arrived at Alexandria. Ptomeley welcomed him to the palace with open arms, and Caesar decided to stay there for the duration of his stay in Egypt.

When Cleopatra found out about this, she knew that this was her chance to reclaim her throne. She dressed herself in her finest clothing, and ordered her servants roll her up into a carpet. The carpet was then sent to Caesar's bedroom, where, when it unfurled, Cleopatra popped out and stated her case. Caesar was enthralled by this, and agreed to help her-at least, that's the popular rumor about what happened.

After four months of fighting Roman reinforcements arrived, and Ptomeley was driven out of Alexandria. It is believed that he drowned in the Nile. After this happened, Cleopatra and Caesar entered Egypt, where they were greeted by crowds of disapproving citizens. They viewed Caesar as a conquering tyrant and Cleopatra just as badly for siding with him. Cleopatra and her younger brother, also named Ptomeley, regained the throne. Caesar remained in Rome for a time, and in 47 B.C. what appeared to be the love child of the two, Ptolemy Caesar, was born. His nickname? Caesarion, or Little Caesar.

In either 46 B.C. or 45 B.C Caesarion and Cleopatra took a road trip to visit Caesar in Rome. Cleopatra wasn't popular at all in Rome, since everyone knew about her status as Caesar's Mistress. After Caesar was murdered by his senators, Cleopatra and her son went back to Egypt, where a year later, her brother Ptomeley was killed off. The killing was suspected to have been by Cleopatra's agents, though this was never investigated- probably because no one wanted Cleopatra's agents knocking on their door in the middle of the night.