6: Needles Can Hurt (A Lot)

Doggy's  ears drooped as he crawled back to Lich. After sniffing thirty souls and coming to defeat after defeat, he was ready to move on. His tongue lolled as he panted, catching his breath. He'd expected more excitement out of a criminal chase - at least a high-stakes battle. But this was one of the most boring jobs Doggy had ever done. Come to think of it, even herding the Dead was more interesting than this. 

"Status report from Super-Agent Fang X to Super-Agent XYZ," he said to Lich. "Still haven't found anything yet. What about you? Over and out."

"I said shut up with the code names." Lich's fore-paw knocked into Doggy, his spine tingling at her touch. He broke into a grin as she followed up with, "But I have an idea."

Tail thumping against the flower-spotted field, Doggy leaned inwards. From what he knew of his partner, ideas tended to lead to plans, which meant more chances for Super-Agent Fang X to show off his ninja skills. Along with his courage, bravery, speed, and keen intelligence - all traits which Doggy prided himself on. "What is it? Do we get to beat up a bunch of Angels?"

"When we first got into the Elysium, I saw something that looked like one of the Dead. At first I didn't think anything of it, but now..." The fire danced in Lich's eyes, the warmth pulling Doggy in like a moth to flame. "I think Hunt is here."

"Here?" Doggy cocked his head, inhaling a whiff of the good-tinted air. "But I just checked two brackets, and there was nothing." He tried to keep the whine from seeping into his voice. Doggy would go back to recheck, of course - Super-Agent Fang X never quit an assignment. But that didn't mean he wanted to. 

"No," Lich said, "The soul I saw was alone. And you remember how the files went missing? It can't be a coincidence."

Doggy leaped to attention, ears perked. "The invisible three-headed alien!"

"What?" Lich recoiled.

"When I was going up the stairs, my Super-Agent senses kicked in, and I had the feeling I was being watched." Doggy rushed through his explanation, gaze fixed on the castle. Had Hunt been hiding under their noses the entire time? He flexed his claws, digging them into the bed of grass below his feet. If Eldritch Hunt thought he could fool Super-Agent Fang X, he was dead wrong.

"But what in hell is an invisible three-headed alien?" 

"Toad told me about them." Doggy shuddered, grotesque picture filling his mind. "They go around eating Hellhounds who don't do enough herding."

Lich rolled her eyes. "Your stupidity amazes me."

Heat wafted over Doggy as he basked in the compliment, a blush climbing across his - thankfully - fur-covered cheeks. He amazed Lich... she thought he was amazing. Doggy straightened his back, a grin plastered to his muzzle. "Roger that, Super-Agent XYZ. We need to stop Eldritch Hunt before he gets away."

Lich exhaled, her muscles tightening through her sleek pelt. "Let's scan the perimeters of the Administration building," she said. "He couldn't have gotten far, not with so many people watching." Lich headed towards the lead Angel, tail swishing behind her.

Doggy squinted at the marble palace. "He's probably still in the castle."

 Lich swiveled, head shooting upwards. "Why?"

"He didn't get the chance to steal all the files," Doggy shrugged. "So now he wants to go back and destroy the rest." If years of extensive spy training had taught Doggy one thing, it was to always finish the job. Hunt must've took one look at the intimidating Super-Agent Fang X and ran for the hills, only to return once he thought the coast was clear.