Two | Deux

CALAIS, 1914

CALAIS, 1914

Amelie's Point of View

GABRIEL and I agreed to rent a small unit suitable for two people. To me, this modest home felt like a castle, but for Gabriel, it was merely half the size of his bedroom in his mansion. Surprisingly, his parents made no attempt to find him, or so the rumor went. Word had reached Calais that they had disowned him and had not even tried to make contact.

"I am sorry for leading you down a rocky path," Gabriel whispered to me as he caressed my hair while I lay on his lap. "Rest assured, mon amour, I would go to great lengths to sweep all the streets of Calais just to provide for you, and you do not even have to work. It would be my honor to take care of you."

"No, it is fine. I am more than glad to help you. Let us say my artworks were not fortunate enough to be sold in Paris, but who knows, their destiny might be different here," I insisted, taking a deep breath as I gazed at the ceiling of our humble abode. "In fact, besides my love for you, all that remains in my heart right now is guilt. Guilt that you had to leave your family and wealth behind to be with a mere girl like me."

"People used to believe that to reach heaven, one must forsake material possessions, and so I did." I looked at Gabriel tearfully as he uttered those words. His eyes sparkled with love and passion, as if he had never known such feelings before. "I can sacrifice everything I have since I existed to the person who makes me feel like I am living. I love you so much, mon amour."

"I love you more." Speechless, those were the only words I could respond. He gently pressed his lips against mine and sealed a warm embrace.

Gabriel pointed towards the open window, inviting our gaze to the twinkling stars in the serene night sky. Amongst them, one star shined the brightest. I pointed towards it and whispered, "You are the star of my life - the only star who shines so brightly that you illuminate every dead-end corner of my heart."

He cupped my cheeks and replied, "And to me, you are the moon. Unique and unparalleled. I, the star, will always be by your side. Many Parisian girls desired me for my fame and wealth, but you are a different flavor. You love me for who I am, and you are worth every risk I take."

I once glanced again at the perfectly assembled constellation and softly sang, "Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are. Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky. Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are..."

"Let me change it a little bit..." Gabriel chuckled while playing with the palm of my right hand. "Twinkle, twinkle, I am that star, shining on the sky like art. There are many sparks in sky, but I choose the moon's glow - so bright. Twinkle, twinkle, I am that star, from the moon will never part..."

And his words spoke nothing but the truth because from that day on, we would never be apart. I used to think of him as a distant star, but now he was always just an inch away from me. Despite withdrawing from public life, his popularity never declined, and he was still fortunate enough to find some gigs to earn money. On the other hand, I reignited the passion I once set aside and decided to sell my artworks here in Calais. Although the prices here were lower compared to Paris, I still managed to make a profit since there were only a few competitors in the area.

He would always come at night and surprise me with flowers. Whenever he received his paycheck, he would buy me a large bouquet, keeping a piece for himself so he would know when they would wither and buy me more. Whenever he did not have much money, he would pluck flowers from gardens and create a bouquet himself. He was a 'no excuse' man, and I found myself falling in love with him even more. We were inseparable, or so we thought.