Three | Trois

CALAIS, 1914

CALAIS, 1914

Amelie's Point of View

July 28, 1914, marked a pivotal moment that forever altered the paths of countless lives. Following the tragic assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the heir to Austria-Hungary, a chain reaction was set in motion. The empire responded by declaring war on Serbia, thus igniting the flames of the Great War. The impact of this event spread throughout the globe, leaving the world stunned, and nations started to align themselves in strategic alliances. Our hearts even sank less than a week later when Germany declared war on our beloved homeland, prompting France to join the conflict.

Gabriel was determined to enlist in the French Army and fight for our country's honor, but I could not bear the thought of losing him to the horrors of war. The mere idea of him leaving, never to return, haunted me every time I was thinking of him. I had spent sleepless nights begging and trying to convince him that there were other ways to serve his nation, but he insisted that just like any other French men, it was his duty to defend our country and our lives.

"This is my calling, and it is an honor to defend you and France, even if it means risking my life to ensure you and our people sleep peacefully at night. Know that I will always find a way to communicate with you, one way or another," Gabriel addressed me as I clung to him, unwilling to let go. "I promise that if I survive, I will search for you until we meet again."

I could not utter a syllable, and our final embrace was filled with unspoken words, a silent promise of love and devotion. With a heavy heart, I watched as he stepped onto the train, accompanied by other soldiers who had bid farewell to their wives, parents, and children, before disappearing into the crowd.

As the train whistle blew, signaling its departure, I felt nothing but emptiness within me. I could not imagine my life without him. I was merely a young woman who had just come of age, left alone because my partner had chosen to defend our country in the midst of war. I had no friends; nothing left on me but pieces of canvas and used palettes and brushes. With that, as Gabriel went to war, I dedicated myself to another kind of battle.

I found myself falling in love with a distant star, as he was miles away from me. I had to endure the fact that I would no longer receive flowers from him and use his broad arms as my pillow, and it pained me at first because I was not used to it. I would wander around the four corners of our small house, with nothing to do but paint and ponder about his well-being. His letters were the only thing that kept me going, although sometimes they unfortunately arrived late due to the immense volume of mail being delivered and the military's screening and censorship measures to prevent the leakage of sensitive information.

"September 13, 1914. Mon amour, we defended the Marne! The Germans have retreated, yet my heart mourns for the fallen soldiers, regardless of which side they fought for. We are all pawns in this grand chess game. Anyways, please take care of yourself, as I am doing the same. The Allies are making progress. Je t'aime!"

"December 25, 1914. Joyeux Noël, mon amour! We had just a Christmas Truce and a surprising connection with the Germans. They were not the faceless enemy we imagined, but rather individuals who, like us, left their homeland to confront the dangers of battle. Though it saddens me that we could not spend our first Christmas together, I send my love to the stars, hoping it reaches your heart across the miles.

P.S.: A German soldier gave me Schnapps, their wine. It was good."

"February 14, 1915. Happy anniversary, mon bébé! I dream of the day when the war is over, so I can hold you close, cherishing every moment we lost. I shared stories of us among my comrades, but I was slightly jealous when they said they would kill for a girl like you. They can find a girl like Amelie, but not my Amelie. Just kidding.

P.S.: It breaks my heart that I am not able to send you flowers, so for now, bear with my hand-drawn one. I love you until death."

"November 7, 1915. Mon amour, I would like to express my apology from the bottom of my heart for not being able to write you a letter for such a long time. The battles are occurring one after another, and we are constantly being deployed. The delivery of letters has also become stricter, and I am filled with sorrow as I witness my friends and comrades falling one by one. Merry Christmas and a happy new year in advance, my future wife. I would do anything to be able to reach you out on Valentine's."

"February 14, 1916. Happy second anniversary! Whenever I look at the moon, I always think of you. I want to share that we just got deployed to Verdun. I leave everything to the Fates, and may they be merciful to keep me alive and let our lives and hearts intertwine again."

That was the last letter I received from him.