Much To Learn (1)

".."
And much to be taught.

"And much to be taught

".."

More than a year after Marmee had taken Hayley in, the old witch's front door slammed shut a few minutes after school, a young girl of fourteen years of age running straight to her room.

Marmee watched it happen, a knowing glint in her eyes before she closed the grimoire she'd been studying with a sigh. She went to the kitchen and made her special blend of tea — after all, she had teenage heartbreak to heal.

".."

"Knock, knock," Marmee's fingers softly hit Hayley's bedroom door.

"Come in," Hayley's voice was muffled, as if she was hiding under the covers and that was exactly how Marmee found her.

The older witch walked up to the cozy bed, taking a seat and waiting for Hayley to calm down. When the young girl's eyes finally peeked from under the covers, Marmee smiled.

"Honey, what brought this on?" Marmee asked, stroking Hayley's dark hair.

" ... There's this boy," Hayley began.

"There's always a boy," Marmee chuckled under her breath.

Hayley shook her head. "No, there's not. At least not for me."

"Why?"

Hayley's mouth gaped, her mind going blank. She'd almost told Marmee she was not from this world and was feeling embarrassed as a grown woman to have a crush on a young boy. She wasn't a little girl — at least not inside — so she didn't know why this was happening to her.

"Uhm, I don't like young boys?" Hayley answered uncertainly.

"Nobody likes young boys," Marmee jested, making Hayley huff out a laugh. "There it is," The older witch poked her nose. "Never, ever let a boy wipe out your smile."

Hayley sat up in her bed, taking the tea Marmee had made. For a few seconds, she looked around her room.

 For a few seconds, she looked around her room

The place was alive . Anything she had inside, she'd personally hand-picked with Marmee. Every single piece spoke of Hayley's personality and taste. She liked to relax after school or a run in the woods and, everything was made for it. The array of grimoires on her big desk spoke of her determination to master witchcraft — she was good at the art but she wanted to be great.

Hayley looked back at Marmee, her eyes shifting over the older witch's kind features. She'd thought there was nothing more she could learn from life. After all, she'd already lived once, that should've given her the tools to be more in this life. But as showed earlier, a little boy's rejection threw her back to her teenage years, and only Marmee knew how to calm her down. Hayley might be an adult inside but, she still had much to learn and, Marmee had much more to teach.

".."

"Faster! Come on, Hayley, you can do this!"

In Marmee's backyard, Hayley was practicing witchcraft under the older witch's guidance. Marmee had spelled a protection to hide them from prying eyes so that Hayley could practice at full strength.

Hayley made a cup motion with her left hand, her right middle finger tracing quick twirling motions on her other hand. Before her laid a large body of water that she had to move, shape, and keep in control.

Generally, water was the hardest element to control and that was why Marmee used it to train Hayley. Master the water and you could enhance your stamina, your focus and your skill.

So far, Hayley was doing a great job.

"Phasmatos superous adurna," Hayley chanted as she kept the motions of her hand going. "Phasmatos superous adurna, Phasmatos superous adurna," she continued, trying to keep her focus while Marmee threw her hexes she needed to avoid.

As much as witchcraft was a mental exercise, Hayley wanted to strengthen her body and fighting skills at the same time. She'd fallen deeply in love with magic but, she had to keep in mind that being a werewolf brought her another set of valuable assets.

Which was why her schedule was packed. On top of school and cheerleading practice, Hayley took part in a Krav Maga master class every three days and practiced her witchcraft with Marmee every day without fail. She also practiced on her own — although she hid it from the older witch — because she needed to be more lethal. She needed to know dark magic, to be friends with that darkness inside of her. Otherwise, she would be just like any other witches.

Granted, she would've preferred to laze around in this life but, since she was gifted with magic and claws, she planned to be the very best at both.

".."

" ... And they want me to be captain of the squad," Hayley was babbling while helping Marmee cook dinner. "I told them I was flattered but that they really don't want me to lead them."

"Why?" Marmee asked with a small frown. "You're a great leader."

"I'm a drill sergeant, Marmee," Hayley rested her head on the older witch's shoulder. "And I learned that from you so they better choose someone else."

Her eyes focused on assembling the wraps, Hayley missed the sad glint that passed through Marmee's eyes.

"You'll do great," Marmee lifted the younger girl's chin to look her in the eyes. "No matter what happens, you'll do great. Understood?"

Looking into Marmee's eyes, the woman who'd been her mother in every way that mattered, Hayley took a step back. "What's going on? Why do you say it like you're going away?"

"I ..." Marmee put down the knife she'd been using. "I am going away. Honey, I'm so sorry."

"What do you mean?" Hayley's heart was turning cold, her eyes tearing up.

"I have cancer," Marmee announced, breaking Hayley's heart into million pieces. "It's terminal. And I only have a few days left."