16

When George walked up to the portal room, his eyes landed on his friend, standing in the room, his head turned to the completed portal. George looked at him like he saw him for the first time.

He's so cool.

Dream had this pale, very messy, medium-length hair and his eyes were filled with a bit of anxiety. It was the same sad look he always had. The sad look that was always, always trying to tell George it was Dream this whole time, yet he couldn't because of shame, because of fear.

George felt his heartbeats accelerate progressively. He had imagined how Dream looked like a million times. He always wondered why he'd never show his face to him. Now, he looked at him and imagined this face, this eyes and this mouth talking like Dream, wheezing like Dream, teasing like Dream, and it matched. Now that he was thinking about it, he was really tall, like Dream had described himself being 6'3. George had to look up to look at him.

Dream was sorting his inventory and raised his head when he heard George walking to him. Their eyes met. Dream had green eyes, but with George's colorblindness, he couldn't figure out if they were brown or green. But deep inside, the dark-haired man knew they were a pale green. His hoodie was yellow in George's eyes, but now he could easily tell it was probably lime or green. He had never realized that it was Dream. It was Dream. It was him. The message was from him. The book was from Dream. He had written it. Log was Dream. He had been here since the beginning.

Dream couldn't help but smile at George staring at him. He threw items at George with a slight smile on his lips. But when George glanced at him, he knew the smile was off. Then it faded and Dream looked away. George went to grab the items. They were beds. Of course. The short man giggled despite him. A sad, relieved giggle. George's cheeks were still red and wet. It was Dream. Dream would do that. Dream would speedrun the dragon like that. It was definitely him.

"Hey..." George started to say. But Dream turned to him and put a sign on the ground suddenly, like he was trying to interrupt him. George stopped to talk politely.

[Let's leave this world.]

George glanced at Dream and blinked many times, taken by surprise. Dream was looking at him with tired eyes. If George could, he would go to him and hug him, and thank him for always being here, and apologizing for being stubborn two nights ago. He would tell he never felt so safe but when Dream was here with him. He would tell that they were going to do it together and they were best friends. But he couldn't tell any of this. And he simply gulped. "...Yeah", he stuttered.

Dream broke the sign and put it back in his inventory. Is he still angry? George wondered with an uneasy feeling. He felt sick to his stomach.

"Let's do this", George added with a false enjoyment. Dream seemed to smile. The blonde man grabbed his blocks, and verified his shield. He started to walk to the portal, and looked back at his friend.

Eddie meowed behind George. The short man turned his head and kneeled down. "We won't come back, Eddie", he said with a soft voice. He petted the cat's fur for the last time. "Farewell, buddy." He felt bad to leave him forever in this stronghold. But Eddie seemed to understand. It ran to the beds, and lied. He meowed several times. It sounded very sad and George sighed. It was the end and he couldn't believe it.

"We'll meet again."

George looked back at Dream and reached his hand to him. Dream hesitated, then took George's hand in his. They were warm. The young men stared at each other and nodded. The portal was black, yet there was small sparkles that were emanating from it. It was really spooky. If they jumped, they would disappear and discover another dimension. A new dimension. The last dimension they had to go through.