The Sixth Month

Tony laid down in his bed. He was in his rented loft in San Diego. It was definitely a downgrade from his Malibu mansion, but it was still nice. Pepper visited him every once in a while to check up on him and keep him up-to-date with his company. He visited Amy almost every day, helped her around her house since she was way too tired now. Ian was at work most of the time, so it was up to Tony and Leah to help Amy.

Right now, Tony and Amy were at the doctor's office for her monthly check-up. Tony stared at the monitor. "And that small thing right here is his heart beating," The doctor said, pointing at the monitor.

"He's healthy?" Tony asked.

"Yes, everything is normal. No need to worry, Mr. Stark," 

Tony sighed in relief and nodded. He knew he overreacted every time they went to the doctor. But he couldn't help himself, and the doctor somehow found amusement when he overreacted. "It's still estimated that he'd be born in August," the doctor said, moving to sit on her desk.

Amy and Tony nodded. Amy wiped the gel off her stomach and Tony helped her to get down from the bed. "You may experience Braxton Hicks contractions, they are faux contractions so you don't need to worry about them, they happen only to prepare your body for birth. Though, if you do feel contractions, I'd advise you to go to the nearest hospital just to make sure everything is okay," 

"Thanks, Doc," Tony said and they exited the clinic.

***

Tony and Amy walked down the street to Amy's apartment. Tony told her that they can get a taxi, but she insisted on walking. "So, have you thought of a name?" Tony asked her.

"No, have you?"

"Not really. I left the decision for you. You're his mother," he shrugged.

"Well, you're the one who's gonna take care of him,"

"Yeah, I guess," Tony felt dread creeping in, he had accepted the fact that he's going to be a father a long time ago, but it still felt surreal when it's said out loud. "I'm not so good with names, so you choose one," 

"Umm," she thought for a moment, "I've always liked the name 'Peter',"

"Peter. Yeah, it's good. It's also cute,"

Amy nodded as they reached the entrance to her building. She waved good-bye and entered, leaving Tony alone standing in the street. He started walking back to his loft, "Peter Stark. Has a nice ring to it," he muttered.

***

As Tony pulled out his key to open the door, he noticed it was already open, and he became alert. He slowly opened the door, causing it to creak slightly. It was dim inside, but he could make out a figure sitting on the couch, the light from their phone illuminating their face. He relaxed once he knew who it was. "Rhodey!" he yelled, startling the man. 

"Tones?"

Tony walked inside, closing the door behind him and flicking on the light, "What are you doing here?"

"Hello to you, too," Rhodey said, standing up and crossing his arms. Tony rolled his eyes.

"Did Pepper tell you I'm here?"

"Of course she did. Come here, let's talk a bit,"

Tony obeyed and sat on the small couch, turning his body so he faced his friend. "How's my nephew?" Rhodey asked.

Tony snorted, "Your nephew is doing okay. He's due in August,"

"Nice, anything new?"

"Not really. I already set up the nursery. I became one of those people who read parenting books because they're way too nervous,"

Rhodey laughed and patted his friend on the shoulder, "You're gonna do fine, Tony. No need to worry. You still have me, Pepper and Stane,"

"Yeah, I'm not so sure about Stane anymore,"

Rhodey frowned, "Why?" 

"He tried to sabotage the whole thing. Tried to pay Amy off,"

"Oh, I didn't expect him to do something like that,"

"He was acting suspiciously since the beginning. If Pepper didn't find that letter, I think I would have never known I had a son,"

Rhodey nodded, he was concerned but confused as to why Obie would do something like that. "Do you know why he would do that?" he asked.

Tony shrugged, "I don't. But I know that I won't let him get near my kid,"

Rhodey smiled, "Your kid, huh? Who thought Tony Stark would get this soft,"

"Shut up," Tony said, playfully smacking Rhodey's shoulder.

"But seriously, Tones, I'm proud of you. Not only for taking responsibility for your mistakes but also for willing to change for the better for this kid,"

"Thanks," he clapped his hands, "All right, enough with all the touchy-feely shit, let's watch a movie or something,"

***

The following week, he had gone back to New York because he had some work that needed to be done. That's when he met Obie again, "Tony!" he greeted him, walking--uninvited--into his office. Tony sighed, already hating this situation.

"Obie, what do you want?" he asked, leaning back in his chair. Stane sat on a chair.

"What? I can't speak to you anymore?"

"You know I'm still mad at what you did. You had no right to go behind my back and ruin everything," Tony was starting to get agitated.

"I apologized, like, a million times--"

"Doesn't mean I accepted them,"

Obie sighed, "Well, what do you want me to do, hm? What can I do to get you to forgive me?"

Tony glared at him and shot up from his seat, "Stay away from my kid," he said, his voice dangerously calm, then stormed out of the office. He got Deja Vu from the last time he stormed out. But it wasn't his fault, Obie was planning something, and Tony was going to figure it out. No matter what, he will keep his son safe and away from that man.