Finally

"Dont waste it," Yinsen wheezed, "don't waste your life, Stark." Tony watched as the doctor took his last breath. He fough off the tears that were gathering in his eyes, instead, he plastered on a brave face. Now fueled with anger, Tony stepped up and attacked the terrorist with flames. Before they had the chance to attack him again, Tony took off into the sky, wearing the bulky, metal armour.

***

He walked on the sand underneath the blazing sun, with his jacket draped over his head. When he saw the helicopter land in front of him, he thought he was seeing a mirage, but when his friend, Rhodey, pulled him into a hug, saying something about Tony riding with him next time, he knew that he was finally coming home.

***

Peter dragged himself out of the school and into the huge yard. He has completely lost any hope of seeing his father again. He searched the parking lot for Pepper but instead, he spotted Happy. He walked up to him and opened the car door without even any form of greeting to the man.

He sat in the back seat, not noticing Pepper sitting in the passenger seat, "Peter, I have some good news," she said, once Happy and him were setteled in the car. He looked up at, humming in response. She turned to face him, a big smile on her face, and her eyes red, probably from crying, Peter thought, as Happy started driving. "It's going to be a surprise," she added, before turning back in her seat.

Peter looked out of the window once the car stopped, they were in the airport, which made Peter confused. Pepper opened the door for him and held his small hand as they stood in front of a white airplane.

The door to the plane opened, and Rhodey walkes out, next to him was Tony. Peter stood dumbfounded for a moment, before his eyes burned with tears, he let go of Pepper's hand and ran to his father.

Tony knelt down when he saw his son running to him and opened his uninjured arm out. Peter collapsed into his embrace and Tony pulled him in tight.

"I thought you'd never come home," Peter cried aloud, which caused guilt to rise up in Tony's chest. He planted a kiss into his son's curly hair and muttered,

"I'm so, so sorry, Pete. But I'm here now, I'm okay, we're okay." He stood up, still holding Peter in his arm and walked over to Pepper.

He smirked, "your eyes are red. A few tears for your long lost boss?" He teased her.

"Tears of joy. I hate job hunting," Peper smiled.

They sat in the car, with Peter sitting in Tony's lap, pressing himself closer to his father's chest, not even caring about the implant in his chest. Tony kept pressing kisses on Peter's head and muttering reassuring words to him.

"Where to, Boss?" Happy asked from the front seat. Before Tony could answer, Pepper stepped in.

"Take us to the hospital, Happy," she said.

"No, don't," Tony interjected.

Pepper turned to him, and in her stern tone she said, "Tony, you're severly injured, you need to go to the doctor,"

"I don't need to. I've been in captivity for three months, there are two things I want to do: I want an American cheeseburger, and a press conference,"

"A press conference? Right now?" She asked, incredulously.

"Hogan, drive. Cheesburgers first."

Peter curled further into Tony's lap, and when Tony looked down at him, wrapping his arm tighter around his small frame, he found him fast asleep.

"He hasn't been sleeping well since you disappeared," Pepper told him, noticing the sleeping boy as well.

Tony let out a small, "oh," and felt another bang of guilt and sorrow in his chest. His little boy has suffered because of him

"It's not your fault, Tony," Pepper said, putting a hand on Tony's arm in comfory.

"Is it not?" He asked, a pained expression on his face, "because if I had been more careful, none if this would've happened,"

Pepper shook her head, "don't do that to yourself. Right now, you need to pull yourself together for your kid. He needs his dad right now."

***

"...effective immediately, I am shutting down all the manufacturing of weapons at Stark Industries," Tony disclaimed. The reports shot up from their position on the floor, bombarding him with questions.

Tony simply walked away, out of the conference room and back into his car, where Happy and Peter were waiting. He and Pepper climbed in, Tony carefully manuvering his sleeping son back on his lap. Surprisingly, Pepper didnt rebuke him, the ride to mansion was silent.

Once arriving there, Tony carried Peter to his room and laid him on his bed, he presses a kiss to his forehead, before walking to his room.

Tony was extremely tired. He awkwardly, careful not to move his broken arm so much, changed his suit to a t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants, and laid down in his own bed.

His slumper was hunted by nightmares. He kept feeling the pain from having an open-chest surgery waitout any form of anaesthesia. And the terror that came with being waterboarded when he wasn't being 'obedient' with his captors.

He was suddenly woke up by a small hand poking at his arm. He groaned and rolled around, until his eyes met Peter's tearful ones. He tried to hide how sacred and shaken up he was after the nightmare as he spoke.

"Hey, buddy, you okay?" Tony asked.

Peter shook his head, wiping away his tears, "I'm scared. Nightmare," he whimpered.

Tony felt a stap of pain in his heart. He sat up, supporting himself on his uninjured elbow. He patted the mattress next to him, "C'mere,"

Peter climbed onto the bed and laid  down next to his dad. Being mindful of his broken arm, he suggled closer into Tony's chest, as his father ran his fingers through his curls.

Sleeping in each other's embrace for several hours that day, both of them didn't have any nightmares.