The Big Day

Tony was NOT prepared. For five months, he kept telling himself that he was ready, when in fact, he wasn't. So, when he got the call, he freaked out.

***

Tony was sprawled on the small couch in his loft. He was working on some documents for the company when he got The Call. He picked up immediately when he saw it was from Amy. He knew she was due during these few days. 

"Amy? Everything all right?" he asked, his heart beginning to beat fast.

"Tony, this is Leah. Amy is in labor, you gotta come, quick," she said, he could tell she was as nervous as he was.

"I'm, I'm on my way. D-did her water break yet?" he asked, already grabbing his wallet and keys. He didn't even bother changing from the faded AC/DC and old sweatpants that he was wearing as he shoved his feet into his sneakers by the door.

"Yes, come quick!"

He didn't need to be told again. He rushed out the door and down the stairs and called a taxi. On the way, he texted Pepper, Rhodey, and Happy telling them about the situation. Thankfully, the taxi drove fast and he reached the hospital in five minutes. He paid the driver and rushed inside the hospital. Leah had already texted him the floor and room number.

He felt time slow down as he ascended to the fifth floor of the hospital, which didn't help with his anxiety. Finally, the elevator dinged and the doors opened. Tony rushed to room 558. When he reached it, he saw Leah and Ian sitting on the uncomfortable, plastic chairs outside the room. "What's happening? Is everything okay?" He asked, panting, sweating, and nervous as hell. 

Ian and Leah's concerned expressions made him anxious even more (He didn't think that was possible). "What? What's wrong?" He asked again.

"There were some complications during delivery. Amy lost a lot of blood but the doctors are doing everything they can," Ian explained. Tony was worried. So worried and nervous at this point that his hands started shaking.

"And the baby?"

"We still don't know anything,"

Tony gulped thickly and collapsed into one of the chairs, burying his head in his hands. Worried about the mother of his child and his newborn son.

***

Time seemed to stretch out. And by the time the doctor came out, Tony had already been sitting in the hospital for about an hour and a half. 

The doctor wore a sad expression on his face, taking off his blood clad rubber gloves and face mask, he said in an apologetic voice, "Ms. Riedo lost a lot of blood while giving birth. We tried our best, but I'm so sorry she didn't make it,"

Ian and Leah's eyes filled with tears, and Tony couldn't stop his eyes from watering. He felt his throat tightening, "What about the baby?" He asked.

"He's a healthy baby boy. Would you like to see him?"

Tony turned to Leah, who nodded softly. "yeah." He followed the doctor into the room. He tried to not look at Amy's still body and ghostly-white face. One of the nurses lifted the baby carefully and softly handed him to Tony.

Tony cradled him in his arms. He was so tiny, and the cutest little thing ever. His face was scrunched up and his face was still a little red, coupled with the soft baby blue blanket he was wrapped in, and the small hat on his head, he became even more adorable. Tony gazed at him, "Hey, baby," he cooed, poping his nose softly, which made him relax his face a little.

"Do you have a name in mind?" the nurse asked, smiling softly at him. Tony turned to look at Amy then back at the nurse.

"She always liked the name 'Peter'. Peter Stark," he said. The nurse nodded and left the room. 

"We're gonna have to keep him here overnight. We still have to get a pediatrician to check up on him," The doctor told him, "So if you can please follow me to another room because we need to clean this one up." Tony nodded and followed him.

***

Now, he sat in the children's ward. The pediatrician was coming tomorrow (or after five hours given it was now four in the morning). Ian and Leah have seen Peter and Tony talked to them. They were broken at the death of Amy. But at least Ian wasn't mad at Tony, he understood that it wasn't his fault. They had gone home about an hour ago, leaving Tony alone with his newborn son.

Tony was exhausted. He cradled a hot cup of coffee, that the nurse kindly offered him, in his left hand. Peter was laid down in a small baby cot. He was now wearing a footies pajama that was a light shade of grey, but he still had his blue hat on. He was sleeping peacefully while Tony rubbed soothing circles into his left palm with his thump.

Tony couldn't believe what he was seeing. He had a son. He was a father. Even after everything that had happened, he still couldn't believe it.

The nurse checked up on them every once in a while. She came in, holding a bottle of warm milk, "Can you do it?" she simply asked. Tony nodded. He set his cardboard cup on the table next to him and stood up. He ever so gently lifted Peter from his cot and sat back down, cradling his head carefully and took the bottle from the nurse. She left after she saw that he was capable of feeding his son.

He started feeding Peter. And he couldn't get his eyes off his adorable son as he sucked on the bottle. His heart fluttered with warmth, and he didn't even resist the smile that tugged on his lips. "You're safe with me, Pete. I won't let anything happen to you,"