-33-

Klaus murdered Carol Lockwood. A memorial service was held in Mystic High. I was day drinking with Stefan instead of going. I needed some alcohol anyway. "My brother slept with Elena." Stefan threw a dart violently at the board. "I can't decide who I can and cannot trust." I threw a yellow dart. "I pretended like there was a way to change Elena's feelings." He threw another. "I was a fool and let my feelings get the best of me. I was pathetic." I threw another.

We went back and forth between drinking and throwing darts. "You ever just--" I yanked a dart out. "--wanna turn off your humanity?" I asked. "You think about that?" Stefan turned to me. I faced the board and shrugged. "Yeah."

"Are you joking--"

His phone began ringing. "Hey, you just missed the mandatory school assembly." Caroline snapped. "Well, that's because I'm at a mandatory all-day drinking party," Stefan remarked. "Seriously? You decided to go on a ripper bender now?"

"His brother slept with his soulmate. Yeah, kinda ruins the mood, Caroline." I told her. "First of all, you weren't supposed to know that, and second of all, Tyler is already spiraling, and he gets top priority. River, fix this." She groaned. "Can you whine any more? And his mother was murdered, yeah I say he deserves this." I muttered. "I'm his girlfriend. I want him to talk to me. Instead, he's all angry, and it doesn't help that everyone keeps referring to his mother's death as an accident, which is just a really polite way of saying she was drunk."

"Klaus murdered her." I threw the dart at the board, barely missing Stefan's hand. "Just get it together. I can't do this alone." Caroline hung up. "Whatever." Stefan put his phone in his pocket. "Here." I handed him the glass. "Thank you." He muttered, taking it from my grip.

--

His phone rang once again. "What?" He groaned. "Guess who?"

Rebekah.

" I'm back, dagger-free, and I'm holding Elena hostage at the high school. Just thought you should know." She shrilled. "Who the hell was dumb enough to pull that dagger out of you?" I scoffed. "I'll be asking the questions today. See you soon." The blondie hung up. He then called the OTHER blondie.

"I'm only ready to talk to you if you're ready to rejoin civilization." She greeted. "How would you like to drive the white oak stake through Rebekah's heart?"