-34-

We spread out in the high school: Caroline got the second floor, I went left, and Stefan took right on the first floor. I took out my phone and began texting when I heard heels click and I crashed into someone. I put my phone in my pocket, "We're here. What do you want?" I asked. "Where's Stefan?" Rebekah was so difficult. "Somewhere," I replied. "Here." A voice said behind me. "I want the same thing I wanted when you helped Niklaus dagger me," Rebekah answered. "The cure." Stefan sighed.

Rebekah suddenly pushed Stefan against the lockers. I shoved her off and she began laughing. "I hope you're not waiting for Caroline to show up and stake me..." She showed us the stake. "...because I already found her."

We were shoved into the library. Caroline, Elena, and April were at a table waiting. "Stefan..." Elena got up. "I'm here too." I pointed out. "Yeah well-" Rebekah interrupted Elena. "Did I say you could move?" She questioned. Elena sat back down and we were placed around the circular table. She began compelling Stefan and I to honestly reply to her every question.

"Class is in session. You've all been compelled; you know the rules. Answer my questions honestly, no disobedience, no one leaves. April, my sweet, take notes. This is how you get answers in this town. Let's start with a little quiz. In the year 1114, my brother learned, thanks to yours truly, about a brotherhood of vampire hunters with tattoos that grew with each kill. These tattoos revealed what, Elena?" Rebekah asked. "A map." She muttered, rolling her eyes. "Which led to...? Caroline?"

"A cure for vampirism," Caroline replied. "Perfect, so we're all caught up. Stefan Salvatore, the last time we saw each other, you had a vampire hunter, but in order to decode the map, you needed the location of the hunter's sword, which you got out of me using some very dirty tricks. Assuming you found the sword, you also found the cure, and yet, you're all still vampires, which means something went wrong." She paused to tell April to get notecards. "You're wasting your time. We don't know anything." I groaned. "So, you just gave up? I thought you would do anything to save Elena? Even if it meant taking the cure yourself, so you could grow old and die with her?" Rebekah continued talking to Stefan.

Elena's jaw dropped. "Am I missing something?" The Original asked. "They broke up," I mumbled. Rebekah smiled. "Why aren't you smiling? Don't you still like him?" She questioned. "It's complicated." I crossed my arms. "Why? Go on, tell us everything." Rebekah requested.

I swear to God.

"I--I've been in love with Stefan since we were kids. I got heartbroken and came back and I don't know, I saw him and those feelings came back. Then I realized he really was in love and something just clicked in me. I wanted to leave. I wanted to protect. I wanted to be anywhere but here. I- Rebekah, please--"

"Continue, this is really entertaining."

"Rebekah, stop," Stefan asked. "Shut up, Stefan."

"I was jealous of Elena but was willing to protect her for Stefan. I thought I had set him free with the lanterns but living with him fucking killed me. A-Anyway, I tried distancing, and no matter what we kept ending up back together. I---"

"And how do you feel about that?"

"It both disgusts and intrigues me."

"Great! Now how do you feel Stefan?" Rebekah asked. "Upset." He sighed. "So what happened between you and Elena? Isn't she your epic love?" She smirked. Oh shit. "She slept with Damon."

Elena stared at Stefan, then at Caroline. "So, vampire Elena is a trollop who likes bad boys, which explains why Stefan and River reek of alcohol, which makes me suspect something happened between you two as well, but what it doesn't explain is why sweet, loving, innocent Elena could be so heartless towards Stefan. How could she hurt you like that? Answer, please." Rebekah continued. "She didn't know it at the time, but she was sired to Damon," Stefan answered. Rebekah sat between Stefan and Elena. "A sire bond. That's fascinating. And what do you think about that, Elena?" She asked.

"I think you're sad and bored and in desperate need of a hobby." Elena snapped. "You're hiding something. Fess up." Rebekah compelled. "I didn't sleep with Damon because of the sire bond. I slept with Damon because I'm in love with him."