-CHAPTER TWELVE-

April's dress in the media👆

Dedicated to y'all ❤

April's POV

My hands shook nervously as I picked the nudes lipstick from the dresser and my heart beat exacerbated.

I wasn't a fan of lipstick though but I decided to try it on today. I was more of a natural-color-type girl and nude peach was my favorite shade of lipstick. I closed my eyes and took deep breathe to calm my rising nerves but it wasn't working.

'Calm down April. You've got this" touching the color on my lower lips, I gazed at the mirror only to be stared back by a young lady who has undergone a lot of transformation in the last two months.

"I am going to see them and everything will be fine" I chanted those words as they shakily escaped my lips.

I dropped the lipstick frustrated and rubbed my forehead, muttering soothing words.
Going back there was like tearing open my healed wounds. It's not like I didn't miss them but I couldn't phantom my fear.

He told me that I could go there yesterday and at first I declined within but on a second thought I reluctantly decided against it.

I finally managed to calm my nerves and I carefully applied the lipstick ensuring that no shade escaped the outline of my lips. Satisfied, I stepped back to glance at myself from the mirror.

I wore a green emerald strapless midi gown that highlighted my edges in place. I packed my newly plaited braids in a ponytail and completed my outfit with a stilettos heel that had a peep toe and ankle strap with buckle closure at the side.

♦♦♦

The red wine didn't alleviate the tremor in my chest, instead my heart began to beat too fast for my liking. I scooped a little portion of the coconut rice in my plate and stuffed my mouth with it.

Adrian wasn't sharing in my frustration as he enjoyed every bit of his meal. Dad was sitting at one end of the large dinning table, he was wearing a black kaftan with embroidered neckline while Adrian wore a denim jeans and sky blue thick polo with 'sport' inscribed at the chest region. He sat beside me.

"Ada ke ki me' (how are you doing)" Dad asked in our Igbo accent and glanced at me briefly. He has emaciated over the months while Adrian added up, as if he were tapping from dad.

"I'm good dad" I replied with my gaze fixed on my meal. I held a cutlery knife in my right hand, while a fork was fixed to my left hand and I brutalized my share of fried turkey.

"I've had large returns lately and my company is back on track. I think I can pay Jordan half of the debt so that that you can return home, I will realize the remaining amount soon" he explained looking everywhere but me.

I dropped my cutlery abruptly and chuckled lightly, staring at father intensely. I couldn't phantom the feeling I had right now, whether it was anger or happiness.

On a second thought did he just realize what he said? Unconsciously, my eyes flitted to the diamond wedding ring on my middle finger and I huffed.

"Dad what assures you that he would agree to these arrangement" I replied bitterly with raw emotions and I waved my hands off. "What's done is done, we've taken our vows and I can't back out now" I blurted out with a tone of finality. Adrian stared at me like I had developed a horn and I rolled my eyes, real hard.

"Ada, can you listen to yourself? What's done? Which stupid vows?" Adrian snapped his fingers in front of me and I could sense his anger rile up a little. Dad rested his arm on the table and rubbed his temple and with the look on his face my heart melted. I took a long sip of my wine and stood up, adjusting my dress simultaneously.