June 2010

June 2010

It had finally happened; Max had a beard. It felt like a right of passage or something. That fact that he was graduating from high school in just a few weeks didn't feel nearly as significant as the hair growing suddenly even and thick on his face.

"I don't like it," were the first words out of his best friend's mouth the next day when he showed up to school. "Your face looks all wrong."

"That's just cause you're used to seeing it all smooth and boyish," Max replied, as he closed his locker and turned to face her. "This is a man's face."

Zoey giggled at him, but didn't have anything else to say on the topic. Books in hand and locker already closed, she turned to head down the hallway and he followed. "How are the college applications going?" she asked instead.

"Fine I guess," Max replied. "Still doesn't feel real though. I mean in what like three months we won't even come back to this school?"

"I know what you mean," Zoey sighed. "It's like we've been here forever and now suddenly they decide we can leave? Who made up that rule?"

"Crazy people," Max said. "That's who."

"And by that you mean adults," Zoey laughed. Max chuckled along with her. Reaching the intersection of the hallway, they had to go their separate ways to their first class.

This last semester Max and Zoey both had two spares and were talking an elective and core course each though none of them together. If it hadn't been for those spare blocks Max wouldn't have seen much of his best friend their last semester of high school, which would have sucked.

The best thing about their spare blocks as far as Max was concerned was when one or both of them fell at the end of the day so instead of spending an hour in the library doing homework they just went home early.

Today was one on those great days and just a few short hours after walking into his first class, Max was meeting his best friend outside by the benches before they walked home.

"You know one of us should really have a car by now," Zoey whined.

"With what money?" Max laughed.

"You know," Zoey said. "Our money."

"Acquired with what employment?" Max smirked.

"Oh hush," Zoey laughed.

"Besides it really isn't that far," Max added. "And I like walking with you."

"I know," Zoey said. "Me too. It just sometimes feels like we are the only seniors without wheels."

"Ah but we are also the only senior with free weekends to relax and play video games."

"Good point," Zoey laughed. "Much more important."

"At least we have cell phones now," Max counted. "I like how mine flips open and closed."

"Yeah I know you do!" Zoey shot back. "Ever since you got that thing you've been trying to make my ears bleed clicking it back and forth. I wouldn't be surprised if one day it just broke in half."

"Hey, that's what they are designed to do," Max defended his habit. "And I like the noise."

"Well either way you know our parents only got us phones so they can reach us at any time," Zoey continued her earlier point. "It wasn't like they wanted us to be hip or cool or anything. They just wanted to be able to check in on us like little stalkers."

"You mean like parents," Max laughed. "Besides it's fun texting from across the room."

"Fun but not rather pointless," Zoey agreed.