Spring 2013

Spring 2013

It hadn't taken long after his melt down for them to communicate a little more directly, mostly over text messages. Max had explained that he definitely wanted to stay friends even if he might need a little space for a while and Zoey had apologized that she'd just never seen him that way and didn't know how to start, plus she expressed concern that if they dated it might ruin their amazing friendship. And that was that.

With Simon out of the picture, Max at least was saved from listening to Zoey talk about him. The worst of the pain subsided after a month or so and Max felt able to spend time with his best friend again who he had missed terribly. What had really helped him get over it was realizing that he needed her in his life, no matter the form of their relationship he wanted to be by her side till the end of his days. If friends was all she wanted than friends she would get. Max just couldn't imagine his world without her in it.

Though this resolution was going to totally ruin his dating life. He knew right now if he tried to date anyone it would just end up a disaster like before. No, as long as he was in love with Zoey, Max was gonna save himself the drama and stay single.

To his great surprise Zoey followed suit. After her break up with Simon she didn't date. Oo matter how hard he wished her reasoning to be about him, Max knew it was only because she hadn't gotten over Simon yet.

Life developed a new balance. Though he was spending more time with Zoey again, Max made a point to keep in touch with Leif and Tobin. In fact, sometimes the four of them would hang out. Of course the first time this happened, both guys hung back after to ask Max all kinds of annoying questions about Zoey. But once the initial explanation of how "yes he'd told her and no she didn't reciprocate and yes they were still friends" was over everything seemed to settle down.

As final exams approached, their classes were getting harder. This meant that more and more of his time with Zoey became his time studying with Zoey.

"Just think this time next year we will be about to graduate with Bachelors in Computer Science!" Zoey said giddy.

"Not if we don't pass our exam we ain't," Max sighed.

"Mood killer," Zoey groaned, as she reopened her textbook.

"We're still on for tomorrow though?" Max asked.

"Yep," Zoey chirped. "Come rain or shine or extra homework we are going to the Aquarium. I wanna see that new baby otter."

Max smiled. Then reminded himself that it wasn't a date and got back to his coding. Sigh. If only his little foolish heart didn't flutter so.

They called it a night at around ten and Max walked her home though she giggled at him for it.

"It's just across the street," Zoey teased him.

"I know," Max replied.

He knew it was silly though it had been their routine as kids and Max didn't want to change it. Besides it was a beautiful night outside and the fresh air did the study-addled brain a world of good.

Max awoke the next morning already excited for a day out with Zoey. Getting dressed in a hurry and thanking his mom for breakfast on his way out the door, Max knocked on Zoey's door. Maggie answered.

"Good morning Max. Have you come to save my microwave?" Maggie asked him.

"That depends," Max replied cautiously. "On what it needs saving from?"

"Zoey," Maggie answered, as she gestured for him to come in.

And sure enough as he entered the kitchen there was Zoey sitting on the kitchen floor with the family microwave in pieces in front of her.

"What happened?" Max asked moving closer to sit beside her on the floor.

"I took it apart," Zoey explained, sulkily.

"I can see that," Max almost chuckled. "Can you tell me why?"

"To put it back together again," Zoey replied.

"Ok-ay," Max said slowly. "Let me rephrase. What happened to make you want to take apart the microwave?"

Zoey looked up at him with those eyes he knew all too well. "I just found out this morning," Zoey said in an empty voice. "Simon's been dating this girl from a different school for weeks now." Moving closer, Max wrapped his arms around her and she hugged him back fiercely. "Her name's Jessica or something," Zoey continued in his ear. "Stupid name. Jessica."

When Zoey finally pulled out of the hug she looked a bit happier and Max was glad.

"So shall we get this microwave back into one piece together?" Max asked, with a smile.

"Yeah," Zoey smiled back. Her eyes were glossy but she hadn't actually cried. Max couldn't help but be hopeful that this meant she was moving past Simon.

"And don't forget we still have to go see that baby otter today," Max reminded her.

"But first mom might want this microwave to work while we are out," Zoey said sheepishly.

"Yes she would dear," Maggie's voice piped in from the living room chair around the corner where Max suspected she was eavesdropping while pretending to read a book. "When you move out Zoey feel free to take apart your own microwave as often as you like." Maggie chuckled.

"Thanks mom," Zoey groaned, rolling her eyes.

By the time they got the microwave back into working order, Max could understand why she'd done this as a de-stressing activity. There was something meditative about putting all those pieces back in the right place. Peaceful almost.

The Aquarium after was anything but, with all those people bustling around and so many things to see. Max was glad they went though. The whole experience seemed to help take Zoey's mind off Simon and the baby otter was pretty darn cute too.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So funny story.... I seem to have mixed up the actor's and character's name for Zoey's brother. I started this story thinking the characters name was Andrew and it stuck, but after an accidental discovering it seems that Andrew is the actor's name who plays David Clarke aka Zoey's Brother on the show. Oops! As this is an AU I am just gonna leave the name, but that is totally my bad. Maybe cause my dad's name was David I just didn't link the two or something. Anyway what did you think of the chapter? Just a short in-between type chapter here, but the next one... you're gonna like ;)

---------------------------------------------------------

Sneak Peek Chapter 12

"Have you at least finished applying to all the jobs I sent you?" Zoey asked as they began walking to the bus stop.

"How could I not," Max chuckled. "With you reminding me every ten seconds."

"We have to work at the same company!" Zoey exclaimed. "I told you I already decided this."

"You don't have control over everything in the universe Zoey," Max reminded her affectionately. "They might only want one of us even if we both apply."

"Well then we can just refuse until they want both of us," Zoey replied stubbornly.

"Yeah that is the stupidest idea I've ever heard," he said. "Fresh out of school without any experience means you take what you can get."

Zoey just waved her hand dismissively and added, "We will cross that bridge when we come to it."