2020

2020

Max watched and Zoey checked the fridge again. Then went around the room inventorying the laundry baskets. Then she checked the pantry and filled the sanitizer machine on the kitchen counter.

"Once this finishes running you should have enough to last the day," Zoey said as she turned on the now fully loaded sanitizer.

"And if not I do know how to use it," Max smiled at her.

"Oh and her favourite blanket is in our bedroom," Zoey said, thoughtfully counting off on her fingers like she was running over a checklist. "It's just that it might be hard to find. Somehow it ends up in the strangest places-"

"Everything is gonna be fine," Max told her for what was probably the hundredth time that morning.

"You have my lists right?" Zoey said, anxiously. "And mom's number." Max nodded. "And food, and music's set and-" She continued to mumble to herself.

"You said you were ready to go back," Max reminded her.

"I know, I know," Zoey groaned. "And I am, it's just-"

"Hard to leave?" Max finished her sentence for her. Zoey nodded.

He leaned in to kiss her sweetly on the cheek before saying softly. "We will be here when you get back," Max told her lovingly. "And if you find you'd really rather be home we can make that work too."

"Thank you," Zoey smiled at him. "I do really miss work though. I guess I just want to have my cake and eat my cake."

"You know I'd do anything for you, honey, but even I can't arrange a paradox," Max chuckled.

"Just keep your phone on you today, okay?" Zoey said firmly.

"Won't leave my pocket," Max replied. "Promise."

"Okay," Zoey said, taking a deep breath. "I guess I'm going to work."

After another round of kisses for everyone, Zoey put on her coat and left out the front door.

"Just you and me now," Max told the baby in his arms. "But Momma will be back so don't you worry."

His daughter made a squawking noise as if she disagreed with her father's sentiment. Then she began to cry.

"I know I'm not as good as mommy," Max continued to talk over the baby's cries. "But you're stuck with me all day so best to make the most of it. I'm really not that bad you know."

"Waahaaaaaaa," was all the answer he got.

Zoey must have heard because seconds later the door opened and there was mommy, looking worried. The moment her mother came into view, Valerie stopped crying.

"She is never gonna get used to you leaving if you keep coming back?" Max reminded his wife.

"I know," Zoey said, reaching forward to scoop their daughter out of his arms. "I just couldn't leave hearing her crying."

"She's gonna cry when you leave for a while," Max said kindly. "Can't blame the kid either. If I didn't know you were coming back, I'd cry too."

"Haha," Zoey replied, not looking up from the child in her arms.

"Silly mommy thinks I'm joking," Max told his daughter in his recently acquired baby talk voice. He moved closer to them and kissed the top of his daughter's head then his wife's lips.

"It will take time," Max said. "Everytime you leave and come back she will get a little better at knowing that you will come back."

"I know," Zoey sighed. She too kissed the top of Valerie's head, then slowly placed the baby in Max's arms and turned and dashed out the door.