Spring/Summer 2017

Spring/Summer 2017

Zoey took to leadership like a fish to water. Less than a year running the place and already it felt like she'd always been in charge. And even planning the wedding had turned out not to be as big a hassle as Max had expected. That is once he'd convinced Zoey not to try and elope.

"Don't you want your family there?" Max had asked her when she'd first brought up the idea.

"This is about you and me," Zoey had replied. "We'll send them pictures."

"This is about us being family," Max countered. "Which includes all of them."

"Eloping will be easier," Zoey had tried next. "Not to mention cheaper."

"What's this really about Zoey?" he'd asked, sensing that her arguments weren't really the point at all.

"You know- I mean-" Zoey sighed. "It's not like dad can walk me down the aisle anyway."

"Have you thought that maybe your mother would like that honour?" Max had offered with a smile.

After that Zoey never brought up eloping again to which Max was glad. If the options were don't marry Zoey or eloping he would have eloped but only marginally. Max wanted to stand up in front of everyone he knew and make his vows. He wanted it to feel real. He'd waited for this moment his entire life and he wasn't about to shorten it.

Apart from wedding planning, his life hadn't actually changed a whole lot. Though he supposed his co-workers did treat him a little different now that they knew he went home with the boss everyday.

At first they were consoling him on having been passed over for his girlfriend. Then when it came out that they'd gotten engaged people started to make dirty jokes about him 'sleeping' with the boss. Like he hadn't been sleeping with her before. The thought almost made him laugh. In fact, taking the term sleeping literally, Max never slept well anymore without her. Not that his co-workers needed to know that.

Max's favourite part about being in a relationship with the boss was when he got to kiss her in front of his co-workers. She usually blushed and his co-workers always grumbled and it never failed to make his day.

Then there were the times when he got to come to the bosses rescue. Like when she'd forgotten her briefing notes at home and he'd gone to get them for her just in time for the meeting.

"You know sometimes I think you are too reliable," Zoey told him at home that evening after her big meeting was a huge success.

"No such thing," Max replied.

"Maybe I should phrase it differently," Zoey said. "Sometimes I think I rely on you too much."

"My answer to that is the same," Max smiled at her. "Not possible."

"No but really," Zoey sighed, moving closer to hold his arm. "Won't you come to resist it if I am constantly needing things from you."

The idea made Max laugh though he knew she would take this the wrong way so he quickly explained. "I love that you rely on me," Max told her. "Makes me feel needed."

"Silly of course I need you," Zoey said, playfully hitting his shoulder.

"I know," Max beamed at her. "What you need to remember is that I rely on you too," Max told her with a gentle tap on her nose as he spoke.

Zoey rolled her eyes. "As if," she said.

"I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this point, my love," Max smiled at her.

"Okay then give me an example?" Zoey replied, with the air of calling one's bluff.

"I don't sleep well when you aren't asleep beside me," Max began. "So I need you to get a good night's sleep. I'd really hate to pay the rent of his apartment by myself so I need your help with our cost of living as well. Even if I do the cooking you are far better at cleaning than me and who knows what this apartment would look like without you." He paused to lean forward and kiss her before making his last point. "And then there is the simple fact that I would be miserable without you."