Chapter One

Selene's POV

I don't understand how everything led to this. When I thought I was out of the woods everything changed. My new loving father was killed by the people I looked up to. The people that saved me more times than I could count. Something inside of me needed to think my heroes weren't villains. When Dad died, Mom was out a lot trying to make money to support us. Gilthunder was never home either trying to become just like our father. I was practically raised with Elizabeth. I couldn't stop searching for the truth though. Searching for answers and searching for my heroes. I learned how to fight at a young age. It seemed the only people who got answers got them by force. I kept it a secret from everyone. I was able to be the younger sister of a holy knight and the daughter of the deceased Grand Master. Everyone thought I was the weak girl I led them to believe.

Over the years I became stronger and stronger with Howzer's help. Neither of us told anyone else. For me, it meant letting people know I wasn't the person they thought and for him, it could mean losing his best friend if Gil got mad. By the age of fourteen, I bought my own apartment with the money I got from working at a bakery. I set up a murder board with suspects for my father's death. After months of investigation, it all led back to the sins. I let myself believe it was anyone else and the Sins would come back and explain everything. But they never came back. I was young and naive for thinking they were heroes. So here we are. I'm sixteen years old and I'm interrogating someone so I can find the Sins and avenge my father.

"Where are they?" I pulled down my black hood and checked to make sure my pink hair was hidden.

"Where are who, where am I, who are you?" I tied the man to the chair just minutes ago after I knocked him out. Years ago I used the asking politely approach but it got me nowhere. The man struggled against the ropes making his wrists raw.

"The Seven Deadly Sins. Witnesses told me you were seen talking with a man from a wanted poster. So who was it?" I leaned closer trying to seem intimidating. The man instantly head-butted me in the nose sending me tumbling back. The man sent me a sickening smile. "So you think you're funny, don't you. I can send you to the same place I'm going to those criminals."

"Where, jail? You think I'm afraid of prison?" He smiled smugly thinking he stumped me.

"Jail? Sorry Sweetheart but you are severely mistaken. I want to kill the Sins for the betrayal of the Kingdom." I rubbed my bleeding nose and watched the man's face pale.

"What are you? Some undercover Holy Knight or something?"

"Tell me who you were talking to." I leaned over the man keeping my distance from his face. I sat for a moment until I heard the sound of clanking armor.

They're here already? They weren't supposed to be here for another hour. Gil told me they had a lead towards the Sins and they were going to capture him this evening. I ran out the back as the Knights opened the front door.

That was too close. I pulled my cloak tighter against me when the cool air touched my skin.

"Follow them! Don't let them get away." A Holy Knight shouted commands to the lower level knights.

No! I can't get caught. It'll ruin everything. I pushed myself to run faster weaving between buildings and into the forest. I quickly pulled myself up into a tree and hid in the branches. The knights ran past me and I sighed.

I've never been that close to ruining it all. Once the Knights retreated I made my way to the clearing in the woods. I hid my signature cloak in my bag and started training with my sword. I felt a presence behind me and turned around and knocked them to the ground putting my sword against their neck. Howzer laid in the dirt looking up at me with confusion.

"God, what's up with you?" His eyes glanced down to my bleeding nose. He still didn't know why I was training. He always thought it was for self-defense. "Selene, what happened to your nose? It's broken." I turned away from him and covered it.

"Na its nothing. Some kids hit me with a ball back in the kingdom." I grabbed his hand and helped him. "Why did you have to sneak up on me?"

"I didn't, I said your name like ten times. You sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, I was just focused. Well, I have to get back to the castle, I have a sleepover with Elizabeth. See ya." I grabbed my bag without looking back at him.

How have I lost my touch? I almost got caught twice today. Once by Howzer and once by my brother. I shook my head and made my way towards the kingdom.

At the Kingdom

Knights line the entrance to the castle. I look around the crowd looking for someone I know. When I don't see anyone, I walk up to the one who seems to be in charge. "Excuse me, Sir? What's going on?"

"Get back! No one is to go into the castle."

"My name is Selene, I'm looking for Princess Elizabeth." The Knight's eyes widen and he grabs my arm and pulls me towards the door.

What is this low-level knight doing? Good thing I left all of my stuff at home. God, I could break his arm so easily. I try to pull my arm weakly from the Knights grasp. I have to keep up with my weak persona after all. "Um, where are we going. What's going on?"

"To the dungeon." His grasp tightened around my arm as he dragged me towards the dungeon. Once we got there he threw me into a cell and locked the door. "The Princess has disappeared and we have reason to believe she has joined the Seven Deadly Sins." I step back and glance at him hoping he's lying.

How could Elizabeth join the traitors who killed my father? How could she find them before I did? Kind of ironic huh? My best friend betrays me and finds the Sins instantly.

"Sir, I want the Sins dead as much as anyone. Why am I here?" The man laughed at me.

"That's what they all say." He turned and walked down the stone hallway and slammed a wooden door at the end. I sat down and put my head between my knees trying to look scared. That's what everyone expects of me.

All these secrets are really getting old. But, I can't just tell everyone I'm not the terrified introvert they thought I was. Even though I now think of the Sins as the traitors they are, I still have boxes full of papers from years ago trying to prove otherwise. That would be enough evidence to get me locked up for sure. I let fake tears roll down my cheeks from my green eyes when I hear a commotion on the other side of the wooden door.