Chapter Five

When I feel someone put their arms around me I jump back a little. When I notice it's Gil, I close my eyes again. I start sobbing even harder than before.

I messed up everything. I hurt everyone with my lies. Even though it's been ten years, the sins still have a way of controlling my life.

"Gil, how much do you know?"

"Everything."

"I'm so sorry I-"

"It's okay, I know why you did it. You could have told me." After a few minutes of silence, I look into my brother's eyes.

"What next?"

"Let's go home. It's late." I look around and realize how late it is.

How long have I been here? As I look around, I notice all of the destruction I caused. There's a twenty-foot radius of ash with me in the middle. All from a power, I can't control. A power I know nothing about. Gil stands up and offers me a hand. I cautiously take it and stand up. We walk to the edge of the clearing I made where Howzer stands awkwardly. He pulls me into a quick hug and we all walk back in silence.

When I wake up in the morning, it all seems like a dream.

No way that could have happened. The more I think about it, the more embarrassed I become. That actually happened. I get up and get dressed. I walk into the kitchen to see Gil cooking. He gives me a small smile and I look at the time. It's already the afternoon!

"Didn't you have work today?"

"Nope, I have the day off. So, what do you want to do today?"

Gil's pretending as if nothing happened. I give him a weird look. Is he really going to pretend everything's normal?

"If you want we could train. Howzer said you're pretty good. We're gonna need that if we're going to take down the sins."

"We?"

"Yes, we. We are going to take down the sins, hopefully, sooner rather than later. To take them down we have to train."

The siblings quickly eat their lunch and then meet up with Howzer.

"Selene, how long have you known about your powers? You never told me you had magical abilities. We've been training for years and I never knew." Selene laughs a little.

"I didn't know until yesterday. When I snuck out." Both Howzer and Gilthunder stare at Selene. "What?"

"Nothing, it's just people usually discover their powers earlier and it's not very strong at first." Howzer cleared his throat after talking. "Hey, Selene? Do you want to go to Vaizel tomorrow for a fighting festival?"

"Uh... I don't know. No one knows I can fight except for you two. You and Gil should go though!"

"I can't go, I have to work. You should go, Selene. Just wear a cloak or something. Do you own one?" Selene realizes he doesn't truly know everything.

"Um... Gil?" Selene can't decide if she finds the situation humorous or awkward just yet. "I don't think you know everything." Both men stared at Selene in confusion. "Remember that cloaked person who the knights of the kingdom almost caught? The one who was interrogating the person who was a lead to finding the sins." Gilthunder just nodded his head still not understanding. His eyebrows furrowed with confusion.

Does he really not know where this is going?

"Gil that was me." Selene started laughing at Gilthunder's confusion.

"Seriously Selene? Anything else I don't know?"

"I think that's it." Selene smiled and Gilthunder shook his head in mock disappointment.

"Anyways, are you up for the fighting festival Selene?"

"Why not?"

The three spent hours training. It was at this moment Gilthunder realized how grownup his little sister was.

The time flew by and before Selene knew it, it was the next day and she was with Howzer in Vaizel. Her pink hair was down around her face. Her black cloak covered her black pants and a black shirt. Selene went to sign them up while Howzer told some random guy to let a kid compete.

I'm not even going to ask. Selene finished signing them up and before they knew it, the first round had started. When many people have already been knocked out, someone named Taizoo went after Selene.

This is the guy Howzer was talking to earlier. I'm not getting out this soon. Selene pretended not to notice the man running towards her. At the last moment, she stepped out of the way and pushed him in the back, sending him out of the ring.

"Let's take a look at who's left in the ring!" The announcer's voice rang out. Selene tuned out the rest and talked with Howzer. Howzer and Selene went over the building where they were announcing match-ups.

"Hey, Howzer. Let me know who I get matched with. I'm gonna step outside and see if I recognize anyone. I don't want anyone to know it's me just yet." Howzer agreed and Selene stepped outside. She instantly noticed the purple-haired Princess, Veronica. She contemplates the consequences quickly before pulling Veronica off the side.

"Let go of me!" Veronica screams until her eyes meet Selene's. "Selene!" The Princess throws her arms around her sister's best friend. "Are you here to find Elizabeth too?"

"Look for Elizabeth? Too? No. I'm here for the festival but don't tell anyone you know it's me. Wait. Elizabeth is here?"

"I think she might be. Can you help me find her?"

"I have to go but I promise I'll keep an eye out." Selene walked away from Veronica but she was coming up with a plan.

Wherever the sins are, they are with Elizabeth. If I find Elizabeth, I find the sins. This time I will stop them. This can all finally be over. I can finally move on. Selene's thoughts were interrupted by someone placing their hand on her shoulder. Before she hit them, she realized it was just Howzer.

"Gosh! You scared me! Give me a warning next time." Selene took deep breaths and playfully hit Howzer. "So who am I up against?" Howzer grinned.

"Me. So good luck cause I'm the one who taught you." Selene returned the grin.

"I hope you're prepared to lose then." Selene turned away and started walking towards the food stalls. "Come on I'm starving. I don't want to accidentally kill you just because I didn't eat." The two went to eat and came back in time for their fight.

"You can still give up now Selene."

"Not a chance. If you're too scared to face me then the same offer applies." Selene and Howzer both smile and step into the fighting ring. Before they can start the announcer talks to Selene.

"Hey, same thing as the other girl. You have to take off the cloak so we know you aren't hiding any weapons." Selene takes off the cloak and throws it to the side.

I wanted to keep my identity hidden for a little longer. Oh well. I don't recognize anyone besides Veronica. Selene rakes her hand through her messy pink hair.

The two start fighting once the announcer gives them the okay. Howzer summons a cyclone immediately but Selene dodges it and sprints up to him. She grabs his arm and flips him on to the ground.

"Oh, so we're actually trying?" Howzer tries to kick Selene's feet out from underneath her but she quickly dodges. Howzer jumps up and sends more cyclones her way. Selene jumps back and almost gets pushed from the ring. As one of the cyclones is about to hit her she dives out of the way and runs to Howzer. She places her hand on his shoulder in a fake attempt of pushing him. Howzer looks at her laughing because her "attack" didn't even make him move an inch. A second later Howzer sees a purple flame on his shirt. He tries to pat it out but it doesn't go away. While he is distracted, Selene takes the opportunity to kick him out of the rink.